Sunday, September 21, 2008

Baby Bear's Arrival (Or, Actually Conception....I Promise It's Not TMI)

So I'll make my first post here, and it'll maybe be a bit more serious, but it's about something that Denley and I have been repeatedly been asked: how did baby bear arrive? Well, it's quite obvious how the baby was made, but why we allowed it to happen is another question we've been asked. I've had a couple of patients at work say, "you're a pharmacist, don't you of all people know that they make pills to fix that". This comment offends me somewhat, because yes I know about oral contraceptives, but two things have not entered their minds:

1. It's not just zealots who have reservations about using birth control pills.
2. Not everyone views a child as something that needs to be fixed and mourned if not allotted
at least 2 years to plan for.

I'll admit I was upset and confused at first hearing of the pregnancy (I mean really mario kart was over for that night), but a child is such a blessing. My friend, Ryan Starrett, has really driven home this point for me. I think much of our society has missed the boat on this point, especially those immersed in Western culture. We want to get our goals accomplished first; do what is in our plan first, and we're ok with ignoring certain other ethical concepts at this cost. I don't think it's purposeful, but I think we don't often view our lives from a long term perspective enough, me included.

I suppose this logic is more expected in non-Christians, but it really saddens me when so many Christians think this way. It's why Europe's population is declining- selfishness ; they don't want the trouble of a family. We haven't quite hit this in America, but I think our perspective on the value of a child does need to change.

Also our opinion on the sacredness of life needs updating. We too often rant about the non-christian who is using abortion as her second-line birth control method, when we as Christians don't even consider how our methods of birth control work. Do we even evaluate how using oral contraception may cause an early abortion? Do most of us in the Body of Christ even have an opinion of when life begins? Is our view of when life begins affected by our selfish needs for consequence-free sex (even if a good consequence) or is it fully infused with the truth?

I think for the next few post I will try to briefly lay out why Sarah Denley and I avoided oral contraception, and why we find other methods of birth control acceptable. My purpose in writing this will be partly to gather my own thoughts on the subject, but it will also be to inform others (if only a couple of folks).

1 comment:

Idiealot said...

Good post. You'd think an surprise pregnancy was a terminal illness the way some people view it. Just goes to show you how anti-family (and anti-life) the average way of life is.
The miracle of life is STILL a beautiful thing... even when it doesn't fall into some people's view of "practicality". If everyone waited for that "perfect time" to start a family, I doubt half of us would even be here...