Monday, February 23, 2009

81st Academy Awards

 I enjoyed the Oscars this year in general. I really liked the way they had previous winners present the nominees and I LOVED the "The Musical is Back" dance number (I love musicals). Another thing I really liked was the romance montage. And of course, the fashion! It's always fun to see what the stars are wearing, even though it was pretty understated this year (speculation is that it's b/c of the recession--not that it's affecting the stars directly, but that their trying to be respectful). Anyway, Slumdog really cleaned up last night! I haven't seen it, but Peyton loved it and I will probably rent it when it comes out on Netflix.

Here is what I didn't like: the brash liberalism of Hollywood's elite. Okay, Joy Bahar told me this morning on The View that everyone has a right to free speech. Having been an American citizen all my life I wasn't aware of that and am so glad she pointed it out to me! I understand that everyone has a right to their opinions and has a right to express them, but I get tired of these people using fun awards shows as a forum for their radical agendas. The two most prominent examples were Sean Penn and Bill Maiher. Bill Maiher told the audience that "
some day we all do have confront the notion that our silly gods cost the world too greatly". Of course, I think he was maybe a little bitter that his film, Religulous, got ZERO nominations. And Sean Penn was a tad controversial (as usual) telling Americans, "I think it is a good time for those who voted for the ban against gay marriage to sit and reflect, and anticipate their great shame and the shame in their grandchildren’s eyes if they continue that way of support." I have been sitting reflecting all morning AND anticipating the "great shame" that I and Ann Peyton's children will feel over my sopporting what I beleive God created to be shared between one man and one woman and after all my reflection, I have decided I anticipate no great shame. Thanks for the challange, though, really. So, like I said these guys have a right to their opinions, but come on, let us just enjoy the awards! Who knows though? Maybe if I ever won best actress, I would decide that my acceptance speech, was, in fact, the most appropriate forum to use to express my strongly pro-life convictions. Then I would be glad I had my education degree to fall back on because I would never work in Hollywood again!

1 comment:

Ashley said...

Just catching up on some older posts....I so agree with this! The day I see an actor/actress use the stage to further conservative politics, I will keel over dead. Well said!