Wednesday, April 8, 2009

The AMAZING story of Ann Peyton's birth and a few pictures

So, we woke up and went to the hospital at 5:00 am as planned. Around 4:30 I called the hospital to ask if I could have a piece of toast or a cracker; I was already hungry! They said "um, no, if we have to do a c-section, you could aspirate, and then you'll have to go to the ICU; it's really not worth it". Ok, she's right-not worth it. So we go to the hospital and the weird thing is I had started having contractions, so Ann Peyton would have come on April 2 not matter what! About an hour later, they started the Pitocin and the contractions got much stronger. The nurse that took care of me was AMAZING. Her and Dr. McMinn are just great people and are great at what they do. There is nothing I could do to thank them enough for how great they helped make this experience (I was really scared). But we are sending Katie (the nurse) a gift certificate to Char. Anyway, they gave me some medicine to relieve the pain from the contractions and it made me act so stupid (don't worry Peyton video taped it). Then the anesthesiologist came in and gave me the epidural and I feel asleep and slept through some really heavy/frequent contractions. Around noon, Katie came in and said it was time to push. There were at least ten people in the room. I am crazy about hating to be naked, but I did not even care that there were two MC nursing students observing (and they were really observing!) I'm just glad I didn't know them. About 20 minutes later she called Dr. McMinn and 30 minutes after that AP arrived. That's right, less than an hour of pushing! And it did not hurt at all! I just felt pressure. WOW! Peyton had said he didn't care about cutting the cord, but the nurse said she should so he did. And before that when we first heard her cry, we both looked at each other with tears in OUR eyes and it was such a special moment.

I feel so blessed. I had been praying for smooth delivery, but I never expected this! It was really important to me not to have a section. I am not at all against them, but for very personal reasons it was really important to me not to have one. I hate it when people say things like that on their blogs and you know I try to be transparent, so ask me if you're really curious and can't guess; it just wouldn't be appropriate to mention on the blog. Anyway, I was so worried and just sure she would not come out "that way" because, hello, I am rather small. But God defiantly answered my prayers, above and beyond all I could imagine!

Our little family:
"Mickey" with his new granddaughter
She is so tiny; we had to get her preemie clothes. That bunny is almost as big as her!
"Uncle" Ellis
Logan and Ashley
Going home


Aunt CookieOne last thing. Please pray for me. I have talked so many times about my out of control anxiety and what a struggle it is. Well, of course, I have already worried about all the possible terrible scenarios that could happen to Ann Peyton. Tonight (I was still up, but had put her down) I heard her cry and leaned over to check on her (her bassinet is right beside our bed) and her hat that she sleeps in to keep her warm was down over her nose. She was breathing fine through her mouth and crying to let me know there was a problem, but it scared me to death! This is the happiest I've EVER been, but it is so scary to me!

1 comment:

Carrie and David said...

Hi! You don't know me, but I found your blog through Ashley Lancaster's. Congratulations on the birth of your beautiful daughter! I have a 6 month old daughter, so I know well the joy you're experiencing. :o) I just had to comment because Dr. McMinn is my doctor too, and I LOVE her. Sadly, she wasn't there when I delivered, but she was great through my whole pregnancy! Congratulations again!