Wednesday, April 29, 2009

In Which I Discuss Something Controversial....

** Disclaimer, due to the graphic nature of this post, if you are a sweet lady who works in the Bridal Registry at Batte Furniture with Minnie, close your browser now**

Ok, so I normally don't do "issue" posts (that's more of Peyton's thing) sometimes there is something that I feel passionately about and so I feel the need to. I am going to try to be brief and (hopefully) Peyton will do a more detailed post on his other blog (he can really explain all this better than I can). Anyway, I really don't like to offend people and I know I may be stepping on some toes, but I feel like it's important so here it goes:

Recently on The View, they were discussing the "Morning After Pill" and the recent controversy of selling it to teenagers. First, let me say this: Poor Sherry! Elizabeth (a conservative) and Barbara (somewhat moderate) were not there and although Megan McCain ("the new face of the Republican party") was guest hosting "the couch" was defiantly not balanced (not that most of the media really is anyway). Should I have titled this post "How many times can SD use parenthesis is one post"? Anyway, back to my point: the morning after pill (and oral contraceptives in general).

Do people realize that the same mechanism that causes the Morning After Pill to "terminate" a pregnancy is used in ALL oral contraceptives (the pill)? Let me explain: The Morning After Pill works by causing the fertilized egg not to implant in the uterus. The way that any birth control pill works is by 1) causing the egg and sperm not to meet and 2) if the egg and sperm do meet a second mechanism kicks in, which is, you guessed it, causing the fertilized egg to not implant by making the uterus a hostile environment.

So, to summarize.....if you believe that life occurs at the time of implantation, you have not a problem. However, if you believe that life occurs at the time of fertilization your options look like this:

http://bourgieadventures.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/locked-condoms2.jpg

or this:

http://fapit.net/imgs/92/abstinence.jpg
(give me a break; it's funny)

or this:



So, what do YOU think ?

6 comments:

Ashley said...

This is why I don't use the Pill. I didn't realize that I fundamentally disagreed with it until I really started to research. I'm in complete agreement!

Anonymous said...

Most birth controls are a combination of 2 synthetic hormones that mimic the natural hormones estrogen and progesterone. Usually, these hormones are cyclic and therefore, cause menstruation. However, by giving a combination of a constant dose (monophasic) of both these hormones, the body does not respond and doesn't ovulate. This is how birth control works.

As far as the morning after pill, by giving 3 days of the hormone, then withdrawing, you induce menstruation and prevent implantation IF an egg was fertilized. Normally, it takes 7 days for a fertilized egg to travel into the uterus and implant. If an egg was fertilized, by the 7th day after rape/sex/whatever, there would be no endometrial lining for it to implant into. It would just get flushed out of the woman's system.

That's in a nutshell how the pill works. Normally, the pill doesn't have a "backup mechanism" in case ovulation and fertilization occured. That's why you can still get pregnant while on the pill. The morning after pill just induces early menstruation preventing implantation.

I'm not arguing "issue" on whether or not to use these methods. Just clarifying the mechanism behind them.

mjade21 said...

In response to the last comment, I just wondered where your information came from. All of the information I've read includes multiple mechanisms of drug action, one of which is preventing implantation. Just curious.

Peyton

Anonymous said...

you should read a pharmacology textbook. the first anonymous is correct. what you have stated in your blog about oral contraceptives is blatantly false.

"2) if the egg and sperm do meet a second mechanism kicks in, which is, you guessed it, causing the fertilized egg to not implant by making the uterus a hostile environment."

yeah, that is most definitely not true. hope you didn't get this info off of wikipedia...you can most definitely get pregnant while taking the pill. and technically, the uterus is not a hostile place, the vagina is, due to its highly acidic environment. but then again, that helps the sperm maturate, but whatever.

mjade21 said...

Ok, so I appreciate the kind civil disagreement and help the first anonymous blogger gave about COCs (combo oral contraceptives). Blogger #2 in contrast was ridiculously mean spirited and arrogant. In response I will post my three chief sources of information, none of which include wikipedia (sorry!).

1.From Yaz brand pocket insert. Note- it's not a monophasic, but the same rules for MOA apply:
"COCs act by supression of gonadotrophins. Although the primary mechanism of this action is inhibition of ovulation, other alterations include changes in the cervical mucus (which increases the difficulty of sperm entry into the uterus) and the endometrium (which reduces the likelihood of implantation)." This is listed in the second section of the PI under Clinical Pharmacology: Pharmacodynamics (how drugs work in the body).

2. Koda-Kimble MA, et al. Contraception: 45-5. Applied Therapeutics: the clinical use of drugs. 8th ed. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; July 2008.

"Progestins also may inhibit implantation by causing alterations of transformation of the endometrial lining or alter transport of sperm or ovum within the fallopian tubes"

3. It's also stated in the section of AHFS Drug Information reference book under oral contraceptive MOA. I don't feel like quoting due to the repetitive nature, but I'd be glad to give you the citation if you need it.

Now please let me know where you get your information since I know it's not wikipedia, and must be a scientific source due to the arrogant tone in the second comment. Thanks!

I will definately follow up with a full explaination and commentary, but just wanted to throw out a quick response.

Peyton

mjade21 said...

What is also controversial is how much of an effect the thinning of the endometrium has on the likelihood of implantation. Does it matter enough to say that it discourages implantation when a zygote reaches this stage...this is what anonymous #1 may have been getting at. I'll try to research and talk to our OB more to put a post as SD and I are always fluidly discussing this issue.