Friday, April 10, 2009

It's Friday....But Sunday's a Coming!

Awhile back one of my professors at MC read us a story out of Fox's Book of Martyrs. It was about a woman who was not only persecuted herself, but watched her child be tortured and yet still refused to renounce her faith. It was hard for me to hear at the time. I remember just being horrified by the story. I couldn't really even wrap my mind around it.

Years later, when I found out I was pregnant, I found myself thinking about the story and it took on a whole new meaning. I told Peyton that even without meeting her yet, I loved Ann Peyton so much, and I didn't know if I could do what this strong woman of faith did. He reassured me that I would probably never have to, and I argued with him that God could call us to be missionaries in a dangerous land, but even so, that really wasn't the point. I realized that my faith was somewhat weak and something I needed to be more intentional about. So that is the first thing I took from the story. But the second is really more important. After thinking on it (worrying about it) for a few days it just HIT ME......God did just that for us! I always knew logically that God gave his "only begotten son", but never had it touched my heart in this way. As a parent, now, I am processing God's love for humanity in a whole new way this Good Friday!


Jesus, the Savior, reigns, the God of truth and love;
When He had purged our stains He took His seat above;
Lift up your heart, lift up your voice;
Rejoice, again I say, rejoice!

1 comment: