Friday, April 24, 2009

What do YOU think?

It's funny, when you have a baby it's like wearing a sign around your neck that says "Please Give Me Advice" and I know it annoys some people, and it may get old, but I welcome it, I really do. Especially from people who are actually parents, or at least have experience with babies.

However, I don't know what to think when people go so gung-ho about one "system". People have such strong opinions! For example, I have been reading On Becoming Babywise and watching these "BabyTalk" dvds, both recommended by different people. Now, I know that theoretically this is no different from soft drinks or peanut butter, when you have a product you want to sell it.....so you market it by saying "Follow this system and you will have a content baby; your baby will be happy, you will feel like super mom, and an endless stream of strangers will stop you and tell you how amazingly well-behaved your infant is". Who even knew infants could "behave" badly?

Anyway, Babywise recommends not rocking your baby to sleep, letting them cry, and scheduling breastfeeding and by 7 weeks they will be sleeping through the night. I have heard people sing the praises of this book, but also have had Dr's and nurses tell me that it is not appropriate for young infants. The BabyTalk dvds tell you how to recognize what you baby needs by the sound of it's cry, so you should be able to zap any problem almost immediately. That's the just of the the two approaches. I guess I'm a little skeptical of both. I have seen one child who is a "Babywise baby" and one who is a "BabyTalk baby" and they are both very happy, content children. However, is it because of the system, or was that just their temperament? At this age, I don't know if you can take credit/blame yourself for your babies behavior. Obviously, later in the game how you parent effects behavior, but now (aside from meeting basic needs-food, shelter, love, ect.)? I don't know.

Ok, seriously if you're a parent and/or have a lot of experience with babies leave a comment and tell me what you think!

2 comments:

Ashley said...

We use Babywise! I'm always careful to gauge someone before I talk about it, because there's somewhat of a stigma attached. I'm going to email you about it. It's been great for us!

Oh---that piece of paper was a letter that my dad wrote to Evy when she was born. It's a treasured possession of mine. I tend to frame anything my daddy writes :o)

Carrie and David said...

Well, my baby is only 7 months old, so I'm far from an expert. I think every parent has to just figure out what works for them and their baby. I think there is a lot of trial and error that goes on with a first child. :o) I was real big on "on-demand" feedings for Aubrey. I didn't focus on trying to get her on a schedule (feeding or sleep) for probably the first 8-10 weeks - after that she pretty much put herself on a schedule. It's a very flexible schedule though, so it's great. This is just what worked for us, and I know every baby and mother is different! :o) I'm still learning too!