Thursday, May 21, 2009

Pregnancy Survey

Okay, so you know how I LOVE surveys. Well, heres' a new one all about AP. I’m just going to go ahead and tell you. This has some really personal details and it might make you uncomfortable. I included them because I want to be real on this blog and because I believe that this is a really powerful testimony and it shows some of the biggest ways God has worked in my life. I have been waiting for an opportunity to share it on the blog. Anyway, if you’re just looking for the typical surveys I post, you might want to look somewhere else. If you want a peak into my heart go ahead and read.

1. WAS YOUR FIRST PREGNANCY PLANNED?
Um, let’s see....no.

2. WERE YOU MARRIED AT THE TIME?
Haha, barely. I think we were married for about a month and had had sex *maybe* six times. HONEYMOON BABY!

3. WHAT WERE YOUR REACTIONS?
I’ll be straight with you. I was terrified. I flipped out. I have always wanted babies more than anything. I love children. My sister talked about babies at our rehearsal dinner(***). Our pastor joked about it during the ceremony. We named Ann Peyton, literally, years ago. It has always been my ultimate calling. BUT, we were still adjusting to married life, which was not, truthfully, a walk in the park. I mean we were very much in love, but it was an adjustment. I had just lost my job and my grandmother (who I was incredibly close to). I was searching for a new job and trying to be a really good wife. I felt like a train wreck and I wasn’t sure how I was going to do this. I guess I made my decision about transparency on the blog. Here’s why: This is a HUGE part of my personal testimony. I have seen God work in my life this year in ways I could never IMAGINE. I have always loved Roman 8:28- ”In all things, we know, God works for the good of those who love Him”, but it became all the more real to me this year. I lost my job for a REASON--I could not have been a first year teacher and been as tired as I was during my pregnancy. We were having a baby for a REASON--Ann Peyton is such a blessing and she came at just the right time!

4. WAS ABORTION AN OPTION FOR YOU?
Anyone who has been reading this blog for any length of time knows how strongly pro-life I am. It is hugely important to me and is an issue so close to my heart. So NO NO NO. I could never do that.....not if it was a dangerous pregnancy, not if I was raped, not if I was carrying a terminally ill child, NEVER. HOWEVER, my mom had several miscarriages before me, and I do remember thinking "maybe that will happen to us". I am horrified that that thought even crossed my mind, but that is how desperate I was at that point. Of course, Annie is the best thing that has EVER happened to me (in addition to Peyton and my relationship with the Lord). I got very attached to her really fast while I was pregnant, and I couldn’t believe I actually thought that. I felt so guilty about it and it really ate me up. I couldn’t imagine loosing her. I just had to forgive myself (I know God already forgave me) and move on.

5. HOW OLD WERE YOU?
23

6. HOW DID YOU FIND OUT YOU WERE PREGNANT?
I called Peyton and told him he need to pick up a pregnancy test on the way home. He gave it to me and started playing video games (I guess he didn’t really think it was a real possibility). I yelled for him to come and he came in the bathroom. We didn’t cry or anything. We weren’t really sad; just TERRIFIED! I know, I’m acting like we were pregnant teenagers. But it is a big, life-changing, kind of deal.

7. WHO DID YOU TELL FIRST?
Obviously, Peyton. Then my parents. My mom was a little concerned. My dad just acted goofy and started calling my sister “Aunt Cookie”. Then Peyton called Jim (the pastor from our wedding, who is also one of Peyton’s best friends). He LAUGHED AT US! His wife chewed him out for it, but really it was fine. It lightened the mood and helped us put everything in perspective. (He laughed, partially because he had been married for five years and had just had a little boy, but before that I had been pressuring him to have a baby basically since they got married--irony much?)

8. DID YOU WANT TO FIND OUT THE SEX
Yes, I couldn’t handle waiting to find out! I am a planner.

9. DUE DATE?
April 8, 2009 (she actually came on April 2)

10. DID YOU HAVE MORNING SICKNESS?
Yes...but not too bad. I only threw up maybe five or six times.

11. WHAT DID YOU CRAVE?
Nothing really unusual; I have weird cravings anyway.

12. WHO/WHAT IRRITATED YOU THE MOST?
Being so tired the first trimester (esp. before I even knew I was pregnant)

13. WHAT WAS YOUR FIRST CHILD'S SEX?
A girl

14. DID YOU WISH YOU HAD THE OPPOSITE SEX OF WHAT YOU WERE GETTING?
No! Of course, we would have been happy with either, but I really wanted a girl. For one thing, my mom had a TON of girl stuff saved. We called her when we found out and told her it was a boy. She told everyone at work “It’s a stinkin’ boy” (laughing). Then we told her the truth, haha!

15. HOW MANY POUNDS DID YOU GAIN THROUGHOUT THE PREGNANCY?
around 25

16. DID YOU HAVE A BABY SHOWER?
Yes!

17. WAS IT A SURPRISE OR DID YOU KNOW?
I knew

18. DID YOU HAVE ANY COMPLICATIONS DURING YOUR PREGNANCY?
nope not really

19. WHERE DID YOU GIVE BIRTH?
The Baby Suites (River Oaks)....beautiful! Seriously, it was like a vacation!

20. HOW MANY HOURS WERE YOU IN LABOR?
about 7 (and I slept through most of it....haha)

21. WHO DROVE YOU TO THE HOSPITAL?
Peyton

22. WHO WATCHED YOU GIVE BIRTH?
Peyton and a host of medical personal (including two MC nursing students, glad I didn’t know them!)

23. Was it natural or c-section?
natural (in the not a section sense, not in the no meds sense)

24. DID YOU TAKE MEDICINE TO EASE THE PAIN?
Um, that's why it was like a vacation. Honestly, it really wasn’t too much of an option, I don’t think with my size and it being the first and other issues. Just my OB visits were pretty painful! I don’t know that I could’ve done it w/o an epidural. But next time, I think I might want to do it totally “naturally”.

27. HOW MUCH DID YOUR CHILD WEIGH?
5 Ibs 15 oz

28. WHEN WAS YOUR CHILD ACTUALLY BORN ?
April 2, 12:48 PM

30. WHAT DID YOU NAME HIM/HER?
Ann Peyton Herrington

31. HOW OLD IS YOUR FIRST BORN TODAY?
7 weeks exactly. It flies!! And I already can’t remember life without her.

***Here’s the story from the rehearsal dinner in case you’re interested.
Cookie: So when we were little we were flower girls in a wedding. I (Cookie) was a really shy little girl and was scared to go down the aisle. So my grandfather promised us a puppy if we would. Anyway, tomorrow when you (talking to me) get nervous and are scared to go down the aisle I’m going to say “Look, if you do this, you can have all those babies you wanted!” HAHA, SHE IS A PROPHETESS! Ok, not really; we were just really bad at NFP and the Lord wanted us to meet Babykins sooner that expected.

No comments: