Friday, May 8, 2009

Show Us Where You Live Friday-Living Rooms



So, it's that time of the week again! This week is living rooms. I can't wait to show you mine! Come on in and I'll show you around, and feel free to come back anytime!

This is the view of the living room from our front door (ignore the laundry and mess in the first two pictures they were taken later in the day).

And a view from the kitchen. Notice AP's swing, front and center!

We love our fireplace! Last winter we would fall asleep on the couch, in front of the fire almost every night! It was just a neutral color brick, but we painted it white when I moved in. The painting came from my grandmother's (Grandee) house. And those are some chairs that were Peyton's grandparents'. They were chartreuse! We had them recovered in a funky large houndstooth print.

Our coffee table. This butler's table came from my Momma and Daddy's. They weren't using it anymore and I think it's so cute! I love the Wyatt Waters "Sketchbook" of Oxford with the Bruno plate on top.

Here is a view of the back half of the room

This table is directly behind our couch. We don't have a formal dining room, so this is our "dining area". The table has extra leaves that can be put in and our china cabinet is right behind it, on the back wall. On the table, I have a bowl holding candy that I found at an antique store, some fun red candles, and a MacKenzie Childs bowl.

Our china cabinet
(Can anyone tell me what to do with that box? It is so awkward.)

Our formal china

When we registered, we opted to use my mom's china (which is really special to me) and pick out two different sets of salad plates and a set of chargers that would complement it. It's with a Cypress salad plate above and below is an Anna Weatherly charger and a Tobacco Leaf salad plate. We lined the cabinet with mirror tiles to make it stand out.

These two chairs are on either side of the buffet. We use them and the two by the window at the dining table when we fold it out. The cross picture is from my friend Logan and the other was painted by my friend Sue, who painted our seat cushions in the breakfast nook. It is a watercolor of Galloway, the church where Peyton and I got married and it looks like the exact time of day of our wedding. It's so special to me!


The buffet between the two windows. Sorry about the glare. It has two lamps, two candles and a bowl of "apples" on it. Also, a candle snuffer-outer. I love our curtains, even though they kind of look like they belong on a dollhouse, I adore them! There is a better picture of them above.


Our piano is probably the one of the things I love the most in this room. It, along with the buffet and china cabinet was given to us when my beloved grandmother, Bump, passed away. But the piano was the only thing I specifically asked for. Not that Peyton or I can play it! He said I could take lessons whenever I had time (I really want to cultivate some new skills). Anyway, I just think it is so nice to have a piano in your home and I have so many childhood memories of both my parents playing their piano. Above the piano is a kind of abstract print and some MacKenzie-Childs plates. I'm super obsessed with the Anthropologie lampshade. The duck was a baby preset, haha!

The bookshelves by the fireplace. That box on top of the first one was my grandfather's shoe polishing box. Momma said he was always shining his shoes!


A few other important things. My parent's wedding picture. My mom said she is not photogenic, so she only got like 12 made.

This set of books belonged to my great grandmother. She bought them because at that time women didn't go to college. But she wanted to be educated. The picture of Peyton and me is the first one we ever took together. We were just friends then. I was 18 (not even a senior in high school yet)!

And this is a prayer for our home

What a nice thing to conclude with. Drop me a line; I'll see you next week!


5 comments:

Rachel said...

I really like that black and white upholstery on those chairs. I wouldn't mind having a pillow done in the same.

Carrie and David said...

I LOVE your houndstooth chairs!! I've been really into houndstooth lately. I really like your living room!

The Morris Family said...

Looks nice. I have only seen a few pianos in homes, they really are beneficial for children in learning and being able to share and minister to others. I am so thankful our children, most have learned to play.
Cindy

Mommyto3andahusky said...

love all your baskets! :)

kim_brough said...

I'm not super great at decorating (as you can tell from my living room!) but I can envision like an oversized colorful vase and maybe even a large plate on a plate stand. Something to mae it pop.