Friday, July 3, 2009

Happy (Early) Birthday America!

I have the best present for you....

Seriously, oh Land of Liberty, how excited are you about this precious pumpkin (well, and her comrades across the nation) holding your future in her hands?

Okay, enough of the cheese, sorry! But, recently, I read Metro Christian Living and in an interview, Sue Neville (who was the principle of my preschool) stated "Children are one-third of our population...and all of our future". How true! No pressure on us mommies and daddies, right?

But before this becomes another post about Ann Peyton or parenting, I really want to talk about AMERICA THE BEAUTIFUL.

As far back as I can remember, I have had a strong love for all things patriotic. Peyton recently asked me what my first CD was and I told him it was an Ace of Base CD. But later I remembered, no that was my first popular CD. My first actual CD was called "Battle Cry of Freedom" and was sung by the Robert Shaw Chorale. I got it one Christmas, and I think even as a child it brought tears to my eyes. Now, I had no small collection of tapes with little kids singing patriotic songs, but this was different. These were men, not Mickey. I think Santa brought it to me because I so enjoyed marching around the living room with Cookie, while my Mom played "Battle Hymn of the Republic" and other patriotic tunes.

I also loved the musical Yankee Doodle Dandy. We "rented" it probably every other week from the library for a dollar, and probably every week in the summer. If you haven't seen it, you should (probably not, actually, unless your a person who likes musicals and patriotic stuff alot). Anyway, it's the story of George M. Cohan, the Broadway composer and playwright, and it is, in my opinion, FABULOUS. Can't wait for Annie to see it! As a side note, my favorite play that we did in elementary school was all about George Washington; I can still sing one of the songs!

When I got older, I loved hearing my grandfather tell "Nazi" stories even though he served in the Pacific and the things that happened to him were mostly "Japanese stories" (see how PC I am on the blog; I didn't use the term he would have, but you can guess it). I think this started my love of learning about history, which continued into high school and then into college, where I got a minor in history. My favorite classes were always American and US history. I was fascinated learning about the religious views of our founding fathers, about brothers fighting brothers in civil war, about the victory gardens during WWII, and about Reagan saying without any lack of courage, "Mr. Gorbachev, tear down that wall".

Anyway, no post can be truly complete without a list. So here is a list of things I associate with/love about America:
  • patriotic songs
  • Yankee Doodle Dandy
  • watermelon
  • fireworks
  • Boy Scouts (Peyton would probably die before he'd have a son who was not a Scout)
  • baseball
  • apple pie
  • Army Wives
  • Bruce Springsteen


Pause the playlist and listen....it will give you chills!

No comments: