Monday, August 3, 2009

Blog Hop: Encouragement

One place I always find encouragement is one of my favorite Bible verses, Romans 8:28. It says "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose". There have been so many times that God has shown me the truth in this verse and I know that no matter what happens He is able to and will bring good from it. I wanted to share two specific situations. I hope my regular readers don't mind if I just copy and paste a bit, because I've already blogged about both. But both instances are very important and very close to my heart.

Situation #1
Peyton (my husband) and I were great friends long before we dated. Well, one night when we were still just friends (my senior year in high school, his senior year at Ole Miss) we kissed. I freaked --hysterical crying and nail biting defiantly occurred. I was convinced we had a) made things very awkward between us b) messed up my (desired) relationship with another boy and c) really messed up one of the best friendships I'd ever had. I also felt kind of bad for kissing a boy I wasn't dating; it seemed kind of promiscuous at the time. We talked a long time and then I went in and wrote in my journal. Cleaning out the closet in the nursery recently, I found that journal and the specific entry. I had written about how upset I was but I ended the entry with Romans 8:28- "In all things, we know God works for the good of those who love Him.....". I knew that this was going to be bad, but
somehow as powerful as the Lord is he could bring some good from this terrible incident. But who would have thought that the good would come in the form of a beautiful marriage and now a beautiful baby? WOW, I love that story :)

Situation #2This has some really personal details and it might make you uncomfortable. I included them because I want to be real on this blog and because I believe that this is a really powerful testimony and it shows some of the biggest ways God has worked in my life.

Our baby, Ann Peyton, was a TOTAL surprise. We got married just over a year ago in June of 2008 and she was born this past April. I think we were married for about a month and had had sex *maybe* six times. HONEYMOON BABY! I’ll be straight with you. I was terrified. I flipped out. I have always wanted babies more than anything. I love children. My sister talked about babies at our rehearsal dinner. Our pastor joked about it during the ceremony. We named Ann Peyton, literally, years ago. It has always been my ultimate calling.

BUT, we were still adjusting to married life, which was not, truthfully, a walk in the park. I mean we were very much in love, but it was an adjustment. I had just lost my job and my grandmother (who I was incredibly close to). I was searching for a new job and trying to be a really good wife. I felt like a train wreck and I wasn’t sure how I was going to do this. Through this "surprise", I saw God work in my life this year in ways I could never IMAGINE. Romans 8:28 became all the more real to me this year. I lost my job for a REASON--I could not have been a very good  first year teacher and been as tired as I was during my pregnancy. We were having a baby for a REASON--Ann Peyton is such a blessing and she came at just the right time!

My mom had several miscarriages before me, and I do remember thinking "maybe that will happen to us". I am horrified that that thought even crossed my mind, but that is how desperate I was at that point. Of course, Annie is the best thing that has EVER happened to me (in addition to Peyton and my relationship with the Lord). I got very attached to her really fast while I was pregnant, and I couldn’t believe I actually thought that. I felt so guilty about it and it really ate me up. I couldn’t imagine loosing her. I just had to forgive myself (I know God already forgave me) and move on.

It is so neat to see how God used both these situations that I thought were mistakes at the time to bring about the two things that are more precious to me in this life than anything else--my marriage and my child.

Thanks for stopping by!


MckLinky Blog Hop

5 comments:

Grasso10 said...

I love your quotes! I agree that some things just speak to you. Thanks for sharing!

-Brooke

~Sandy~ said...

Just out blog hoppin and wanted to say hi! Thanks for sharing your post with us!

maddie/cadesmimi said...

Just hopping by. Loved your post! I'm joining your followers. Best wishes, Kathy

Melissa, Multi-Tasking Mama said...

What a great stories! Thanks for being authentic and transparent- I think that is what make a testimony relatable!

the brown couch said...

Hey, hoppin' by to encourage you today! I've got a button for you at my blog http://comfortjoydesigns.blogspot.com/2009/08/mcklinky-blog-hop-encouragement.html

Blessings,
Deborah

comfortjoydesigns.blogspot.com

browncouchevents.blogspot.com