Sunday, August 23, 2009

Oh, What a Night

****UPDATED to say that I read an article today in which Michelle Duggar says we really don't need as much sleep as we think we do. Welp, Michelle, I guess I'll take your word for it! (although everything else I've ever read about this says Americans don't get enough sleep).

So, let me go ahead and say that Ann Peyton has seriously been the best baby EVER. Everyone says how good she is. I know I'm blessed. Minnie has even said (kind of) jokingly that God in his infinite mercy, must have realized I wasn't ready for a "real" baby and gave me Annie to practice on--she is that sweet and laid back. Also, she started sleeping through the night before she was six weeks old. So, I have no room to complain. But....

I was up ALL night with her, save about two hours when she slept in the bed with us.....or rather I slept and awoke to her staring at me--kinda creepy.

I don't know what happened, but the last couple of nights have been rough and last night was particularly bad. I'm usually okay with letting her cry, but it seemed like she was taking forever to get herself to sleep. And I guess because she is so good at putting herself to sleep, when she doesn't I assume there's a problem....teeth? gas?

I don't think it was either of those because she was just delightful most of the day. I wonder if maybe she is getting too much sleep during the day and has her days and nights confused. I was just asking Peyton last week (before this madness began) if he thought something was wrong because she still naps so much.

So, I did the total WRONG thing by putting her in the bed with us, but whatever; it won't be a habit. Today, I broke out the Babywise and it said she should be taking three naps a day at this point. So it got me thinking, maybe I should develop some sort of routine for her, instead of just letting her sleep and play whenever she wants (I do feed her on a schedule....learned that one the hard way). We'll see....

I'm going to take a nice Sunday afternoon nap, but I'd be up for any suggestions/advice/encouragement/commiseration that you have to offer.

1 comment:

Carrie said...

Those all-nighters are no fun, I know! We have had SEVERAL nights where we just put Aubrey in the bed with us just so we could steal a few minutes of sleep! Usually after a few rough nights though, she goes right back to sleeping through the night. Hope Ann Peyton does too! :o)