Monday, September 21, 2009

In Dixie Land Where I Was Born


So, Annie did GREAT on her first trip to the Grove. I decided to postpone my "Weekly Happening" post until later today and just do a little recap of Saturday's festivities, because I knew I wanted to devote a whole post to the day. First, I have to say that I just adore the "culture" of Ole Miss, as Peyton so eloquently said yesterday. I love that it's been a part of my life for so long and although I have no regrets about not going to Ole Miss myself (okay, the occasional one) I'm thankful for so many good memories there. I can't wait for so many more days like yesterday and for making more precious memories with Ann Peyton.

Seriously, I know it sounds SO stupid, but this was a day that I had been dreaming about for a long time. I just couldn't wait to take AP to one of my favorite places and I knew there would be so many new and old friends that couldn't wait to see her!

The day got off to a great start. We got up around 9ish and Peyton made a big breakfast while I got things ready. It seems to take a lot of preparation to get ready for a day trip with an (almost) six month old. So, I got myself and AP ready, got all our stuff together, and neatened up the house a bit. Of course, I took everything but the kitchen sink. We dropped by Target on the way out of town to get a couple of things and Peyton told me to be quick. He made fun of me because I told him I got a cramp running (speed walking) around in Target (I really am that out of shape). I told him it was "stress induced" because he was stressing me out. Aside: guess what else was "stress induced"? AP had a HUGE pimple. I think she got nervous, because she knew this was such a big event......just like the night before prom, she had to have a breakout!

Of course, we had to have our weekly family picture before we left!


AP did great the whole ride up. She slept almost the entire time. She finally woke up just in time to have a video taken (the Blogger upload was taking FOREVER, but I'm sure the world will love seeing "Ann Peyton rides to the Tune of Dixie on YouTube, right?):



***Cookie said my southern drawl has gotten worse--she was teasing me and said "Oh my gosh, is it because you stay home all day and don't talk to anybody?". Thanks sis, maybe you should call more often ;)

So, we got there around 3:30 and I met my mom at the Tri Delt house so I could nurse her in Cookie's room--the house is BEAUTIFUL. Peyton was going to a wedding for a friend about an hour from Oxford so he took off. This was followed by the hardest part of the day. The Grove was super crowded and an absolute mud fest so it was not so easy pushing the stroller through the throngs of people/mud. I was REALLY missing Peyton.

Once we got to my family's tent it was really nice. AP definitely had some fussy time, but overall she did GREAT. It's funny because I thought she was a little cranky and I know Peyton would have thought she was alot cranky because we're so spoiled by her, but EVERYONE said how good she was-we are so spoiled by her. She did make it six hours (not including the car ride).
I hate to tell you, but this was not very far into the day.....yeah, I look rough already.

She loves for her Minnie to walk her when she's fretful!


So, we just hung out in the gunky weather and ate delicious food (white rotel, marinated vegetables, bacon and cheese dip, and lemon squares, plus a TON more) and had a blast.
Annie had a pretty good lunch, too and loved seeing her Cookiekins!


It was so much fun for Annie to finally meet some of Cookie's friends!
Ann Peyton, Minnie, and Olivia (she's super cute and is going to be a teacher!)

AP and Meg--isn't this beautiful? I don't know who is more in love, Meg with Annie or Annie with Meg!


We had a great time, but it was alot more fun once Peyton got back and joined us!
Annie, her Papa, and Conrad


We decided it was time for another video:
Teaching Annie Hotty Toddy the "nice" way


Ann Peyton got pretty tired as it got later (she's not used to missing her LONG naps), so she turned in early in her stroller.
Girlfriend is not lacking in the comfort items department, is she?


We ended up leaving about 10:00 and getting back to our house after midnight. My poor parents had planned to stay at my uncle's house (just outside Oxford) but decided to go ahead and drive back to Jackson (this was after midnight). Well, they hit a tent on the highway and messed up their car. They got back home but it was after 3:00 am! I was on the phone with my mom when it happened and I heard her scream and it scared me out of my mind!

Overall, it was a WONDERFUL day. I have to say it was so much more fun than last year. I was so hormonal last year the few times I went (being there pregnant wasn't the most fun ever) and I was just moody and acted like a baby myself. My mom and Cookie have both said how much AP has helped me to grow up and not be SO upset when things don't go like I've planned. I just have to be responsible and be a grown up and it feels good to know I can do it. I love the feeling of knowing that I can take care of her better than anyone else and that I made it through the day (with a lot of people's help). I try not to toot my own horn, but it does make me proud of myself, when I think about how last year my mom was fixing me a plate and running around babying me and now I'm taking care of myself AND another person. I really liked being able to juggle her and my food and all her junk and the feeling that it gave me.






3 comments:

Emily said...

Hey! Thanks for the comment on my blog! We didn't get to go to the grove/game, but we hope to get to one soon! :) Ann Peyton looks so cute in her dress!

Emily said...

Oh, and I meant to tell you--I was looking back at some of your old posts and saw a picture of Travis and Elizabeth at one of you wedding showers. They are REALLY good friends of mine! :)

Carrie said...

I loved your videos! The part about your Southern drawl getting worse cracked me up! I happen to think your Southern drawl is charming ;o)