Tuesday, September 29, 2009

It's a Beatiful Day in the Neighborhood

Hasn't the weather just been wonderful? Well, here it my neck of the woods it's been perfect. The past couple of days have just been lovely. Yesterday I didn't leave my house except to go for a walk with Peyton and Annie. We actually walked farther than just around the block because it felt so nice. It's even started to smell like Fall! I just love it when the seasons change. I don't really have a favorite season, but I'm always ready for the next one and it seems like Fall is coming at just the right time. I can't wait to do lots of "fall things" with Annie--dressing up for Halloween, watching football, having fires, and carving pumpkins. Not that she'll be actively participating and not that she'll remember, but I know it will be fun and will make precious memories (and pictures) for me and Peyton. Speaking of.....I so take for granted how easy photographing/videoing her is. All that was so much more complex when I was growing up. My dad always recorded us for so long each time he did it, because it was such a pain to set the video camera up. Now we just leave ours laying around and grab it when she does something cute. How nice!

Also, tonight Peyton and I were able to go on a lovely date. We had a gift certificate to Ruth Chris so we left AP with Peyton's parents and treated ourselves to a really nice date. I have to say the food and service left a little something to be desired, but the company was excellent! The atmosphere at RC is really neat and makes you feel like royalty or something but it was SO slow and honestly, we thought the food was kind of overrated. But, it was so much fun to go on a really fancy date just the two of us. I know y'all are probably getting SO sick of me gushing about my husband, but lately I have just been enjoying him so much. We are at such a happy place right now and I love it.

I know some people would think what I am doing with my life right now is pretty boring. Truly, I never thought staying home with children would be boring or undesirable but I also never thought my life at this point would be as full and as rich as it is. And that is due in large part to my wonderful husband and his constant encouragement and friendship. He is always telling me about things he has read or heard about that he thinks might interest me. And he is forever helping me think of ways to use my talents and channel my interests in productive ways. I love that he encourages me to learn to sew, to take a photography class, to homeschool Annie one day, to start piano lessons, to write for myself and others, to cultivate new friendships and nurture old ones, to research parenting practices, to spend time outdoors, to savor time with our daughter, and to take time for myself. He is constantly helping me grow as a woman, a wife, a mother, a friend, and a person. I could never thank God for him enough.

We had such a wonderful time talking at dinner. I loved talking to him about ideas I have about raising Ann Peyton. We talked about how when she is thirteen he will take HER to a fancy restaurant, just the two of them and show her how she should be treated on a date. We talked about teaching her the Lord's Prayer (my mom taught it to me when I was two--I didn't really understand it, but I love that I knew it so early) and other things we want her to learn. But, we didn't just talk about her. We talked about other things, too. About an article about teaching that Peyton had read and the teaching profession as a whole and some other stuff I can't remember right now. It was so good. He is so good.

2 comments:

Heidi said...

Aww, it really does sound like you had a very lovely evening! Ed and I are also in the same place you are with Peyton and I'm loving it so much too. The companionship you described is just so wonderful, and I too feel very, very grateful for my man. I'm glad you wrote this, friend! It put a big smile in my heart!

So, your little living room chair has sent me on a decorating binge, and I have to thank you! I LOVE your chair and also really enjoyed looking through your other home pictures, but mostly I'm so glad I saw your chair because for months and months I've been agonizing over what kind of chair(s) to get for my living room. Everything else was perfect and in it's place, but I just couldn't figure out the chairs! Now I have and as soon as I can, I'll be buying two and having the upholstered in that same fabric. Yay! Also, when I have the time and energy, i'll be creating my house look on polyvore and posting them for all to see!

Happiness!!

Katie said...

Girl I am glad for your relationship being so solid. That is so encouraging to know that there are people out there who love and are committed to each other. Your baby will benefit so much from mommy and daddy loving and serving each other.
Truly, I envy what you are doing with your life right now. You are blessed.