Saturday, September 12, 2009

Selfless.Truly.

You guys know I struggle with anxiety. I've blogged about it, oh, about a gazillion times. Well, sometimes watching the news on TV or reading the newspaper can just be downright depressing. I like to stay informed, but there are times when I just have to step away from it and that is what I've been doing lately.

I knew the coverage yesterday was going to be especially heartbreaking. I figured I'd let myself watch a little bit and then be done with it. Ann Peyton and I spent most of the afternoon and evening at my parents' house (Peyton had to work ALL day) and they had the TV turned on CBS. They were airing this segment:



I encourage you to watch the video (don't forget to pause the playlist--right beside it). But in case you don't want to, I'll give you the gist of the story. The same cab driver kept being dispatched to this grumpy woman's home. He wondered why she was always so cranky and short with him and decided it might have something to do with the place he always took her, a place that had a sign reading "Kidney Dialysis" on the door. Well, the taxi driver went home researched what kidney dialysis meant and how hard and exhausting it can be and began talking to her about it. He found out that she was in need of a kidney transplant but none of her family members were a match. Of course, she was beyond surprised when the driver offered to get tested to see if he was a match and even more so when he went through with the test. But she was the most floored when, you guessed it, he was a match.

The story gets even neater. Apparently, the driver had a daughter he hadn't seen in thirty years. Ironically, part of the reason he offered the woman one of his kidneys was that he really didn't feel like he had much to live for. Well, after seeing the news footage his daughter contacted him. Both the driver and the sick woman feel like they have been given a new chance at life. The surgery is scheduled for before Christmas.

WOW! I love stories like this. They give me chills and fuzzies all at the same time and totally restore my faith in humanity.....wish there were more of them.

1 comment:

Beth said...

WOW! That is an awesome story. I wish there were more stories like this on the evening news :)