Wednesday, October 7, 2009

An Apple A Day

So, I thought I'd just give a quick little update on the visit today, since I was so dramatic about it. AP's stats:
weight: 12 lbs 10 oz (3rd percentile)
height: 24.25 (16th percentile)
head circumference: 16.93 (65th percentile)

She hasn't been in the third percentile since the horrible visit, but Dr. Denney seemed to think she was right on track and said that this is just "her". She's just a little baby and there is nothing I am doing wrong....(sigh of relief) that was so good to hear! In fact, we don't even have to come back for monthly checks anymore!!! I did ask him about her head, because it being over 50% when her body is at 3% weirded me out a little and I know that having a head that is too big can indicate problems. He said it was nothing to worry about, that the brain takes precedence and it takes the calories before anything else does; which makes sense. He said they only worry if it is like over 95% or something like that.

We also talked about eating. He said she can drop her last nursing (so she'll nurse five times a day now) and sleep up to 12 hours. WOW! She will also start getting three "meals" of some combination of cereal/fruits/vegetables every day and can go to the "2nd foods" stage. And she can try some vanilla wafers if I'm watching her. Of course we tried those immediately and my mom picked up some "Rice Rusks" (that babies in the Orient have been eating for centuries, ha!). So, when we visited Minnie she had some great snacks! Girlfriend can put away some food despite her size!

We also talked about getting on a schedule as far as napping and I unloaded all my other anxieties on poor Doctor Denney (like how I'm scared Peyton will play too rough and give her Shaken Baby Syndrome). He calmed me down and I had to send Sue a text after the appointment confessing my undying love for him. So, a good day.

Oh, and the vaccinations were cake!

4 comments:

Ashley said...

I'm glad you and your doctor are both feeling good about things :) I know that's a relief!

Carrie said...

I'm so happy and relieved for you! I think Ann Peyton's head looks like it's the PERFECT size for her body ;o)

Heidi said...

Yes, I would highly recommend at least reading their book. Like I said, I don't agree with everything in it and am balanced by Dr. Bailey's book, but they have a very good common sense approach to child-rearing that has really served us well. Not only that, they are BIG believers in lots of emphasis on the relationship you build with your child-- not just training them to be good little boys and girls. There are some who miss that about their method (thus, the bad rep) and go to the extreme with training. The proof is in the pudding and they have the kind of relationship with all five of their adult children that we aim to have with ours when they are grown.

And yes, my mind does reside in the gutter at times. I rarely say that out loud to anyone but my hubby and closest friends-- as well as I only call my hubby and closest friends hookers, hoe-bags and hooker faces. We're all of the same bad humor, I guess. :-/

Rachel Ratliff said...

I wouldn't worry about her head. Ryan's head measures off the chart (like over the 95th percentile), and that is just what is normal for him. It really freaked me out at first until I realized that there is absolutely nothing wrong with him. AP is gorgeous, by the way!