Thursday, October 8, 2009

Show Us Your Life-Teams and Traditions

Photobucket

Hotty Toddy!!!

.....that's what Ann Peyton says!!!


Oh, gosh, I guess y'all knew how much this week's "Show Us Your Life" would excite me!


Even though I never went to Ole Miss I just adore the culture of it as Peyton would say. I'm sure that everyone feels this way about "their" team, but there is just something about the Grove, Dixie, Hotty Toddy, and Oxford in general that is just SO special to me.

I have been a fan for quite some time . When Cookie and I were little girls we had "I'm a Little Rebel" t-shirts, Rebel cheer leading dresses, and of course, Colonel Reb washable tattoos on both our cheeks! My grandfather taught me to say "Hotty Toddy" when I was about three years old, and it wasn't the G-rated version, either!

I also have such special memories of my dad listening to the games on the radio at my childhood home. I just remember the sound of the announcer's voice and the smell of the peanuts he was eating and those memories just are Fall to me.

But, my parents never pressured me into going to Ole Miss for college. I wanted to be close to home and honestly, I wanted to be close to Peyton (my husband now). My dad said that I had chosen the best of both worlds when I chose to go to Mississippi College. I loved attending a small Christian university, but I loved going to Oxford on the weekends. I guess I'm a nerd, but I adored my classes and teachers at MC. I could not have handled sitting in a room full of 200 people and the teacher not knowing who I was. So, I know I made the right decision. But sometimes I wonder about what Ole Miss would have been like......would I have been a KD like my mom? would I have even ended up choosing education as my major? would Peyton and I have survived a long distance relationship? what would be the emotional significance of Dixie having actually gone to school at Ole Miss (it brings tears to my eyes and gives me chills so Peyton always says he can only imagine what it would do to me if it actually was my school song)? But like I said, as much as I love the Rebels I was where I needed to be at that time in my life.

Anyway, our traditions are pretty simple. We usually dress up-I'm not going to wear a cocktail dress and stilettos (seen it), but I can't imagine wearing a tshirt and jeans. To me, it would be like wearing a tshirt to a party or out to eat! We usually eat TONS of great food. The people that our family tailgates with are SO sweet; I love my parents friends! Our tent is always fun to me. I as so excited to start sharing the fun with our sweet Annie girl!
Me with Ann Peyton, who is enjoying the Grove for the first time


AP, Minnie, and one of my sister's friends


Ann Peyton wearing my old "I'm a little Rebel" t-shirt--she was about a month old


Last year with Peyton. Annie's in this one, too; she's just hiding behind my purse (and dress, and skin, and uterine wall, haha!)


A few years back with my sister, Cookie


"I'm not going to be a LITTLE rebel for long!!"

2 comments:

Heather said...

Cute pics! You have a beautiful family and I love that you are not pulling for one of the teams in SEC that I dislike the most!! I pull for the big blue!

sweet tea in a pink glass said...

I was looking for some Ole Miss fans...So sad, was going to game this weekend and doctor put me on bedrest :( I will miss the Grove for sure so if your going, have fun for me.
By the way, at my baby shower I got the same smocked dress for my little girl last weekend, can't wait for her to sport it next year!
Hotty Toddy!