Monday, October 12, 2009

Still Learning.....

So, I was pretty sad that today is one of the few days I'm not able to participate in Show Us Your Life. But, currently, there is just nothing I make that people would want to pay money for. I have been thinking, though......

There are so many things that I want to improve my skills at. I'd love to get better at painting things (there is a little project I have been planning for my kitchen since we got married, haha!) and other crafty things (my mom is so into DIY crafts and such). I'd also love to learn all her hand-sewing skills (she needlepoints, embroideries, knits, and smocks) and learn to play the piano. But, those are all things I am interested in pursuing solely for myself.

However, one thing I think would be SO much fun to start a business in (if I ever got good enough) is making little girls' clothes. Peyton's grandmother, Granny, has been teaching me to sew. This very basic little dress was our first project.
I'm planning on getting my own machine and taking some classes here in Jackson. And I'm super excited.

I was thinking about it a couple of weeks ago, because I love this little Toni Tierney apron dress I got for AP at an overstock sale (still haven't posted about it, but I will, don't worry--I know you were worried).


I didn't even know the brand, but I googled it to see about getting her another one, I love it so much. Anyway, I paid less than $20, but they retail for alot. And it got me thinking, how fun would it be to make this type of dresses? I like this look, kind of like Anthropologie for babies, with lots of embellishments and appliques and liberal use of ribbons and buttons. Obviously, I'd come up with my own ideas, but this is where my initial inspiration would have come from.

Anyway, I would never assume I could design clothes for adults, but I think I might could create some cute designs for babies and little girls. It would be fun to try, anyway........

1 comment:

Carrie said...

Ok, when you take that sewing class, please let me know so I can take it with you. I've been DYING to take a sewing class, but I just haven't done it yet! I totally want to make some clothes for Aubrey.