Thursday, November 12, 2009

How the Magic's In the Music and the Music's In Me

Of course, I can NEVER pass up a good survey or meme. And this one that Ashley did was just such a good one. It's kind of like a word association game with music. I love music and I love memories, so I just ate this up. It's a pretty exhaustive little list, but I feel like it tells so much about me (I always love things like this that help me feel like I'm getting to know someone). I think it would also be fun to do a similar thing with movies.


Laugh
: "His Cheeseburger"; it was on an old Veggie Tales CD that Peyton and I listened to one day (along time before we were even parents) and we were being goofy. We LOVE to be goofy. Also, "The Breakfast Song".

Cry: Most definitely "Tears in Heaven" by Eric Clapton. It was the first song that I danced to with the first boy I really loved and now, sadly, he's *in* heaven. That deserves a whole post and I'm going to write it one day. Promise. Also, these three songs: "Daughter", "Heart of Life" and "In My Life", because they were used in Heather and Mike's tribute to Maddie; theirs is a story that broke and continues to break my heart. And "Seasons Of Love" from Rent, not because it's sad; it's just beautiful to think of measuring a life in love.

Smile: Really ANYTHING by Bruce Springsteen. He's one of my favorites.

Think About High School: Anything off Bruce Springsteen's The Rising. Also, "Brown Eyed Girl" by Van Morrison and "Build Me Up Buttercup" by the Foundations because the band played them at football games. And the entire Ally McBeal Soundtrack, but really that was JH.

Think About College: Um, very embarrassingly the song by T-Pain that says "Let's get drunk and forget what we did....". Thankfully, I never actually DID that. Also, "Every Rose Has It's Thorn" by Poison and "Come Sail Away" by Styx because my roommate and I were obsessed with "Top Songs of the '80s" on VH1. And, "I Don't Want to Wait" by Paula Cole because of all our Dawson's Creek marathons.

Think About Your Ex:
Ryan="Tears in Heaven" by Eric Clapton.
Patrick= "Seminole Wind" and "Straight Tequilla Night" by John Anderson, as well as any songs by the band Alabama. And, yes, he was c-o-u-n-t-r-y.
Scott= "Falling" by Ben Kweller, "This Year's Love" (or anything) by David Gray, and "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" and "Pride" by U2.
Ellis= okay, he was NOT my boyfriend, but the song Iris by the Goo Goo Dolls makes me think of when I was "in love" with him in 7th grade. I remember hearing it shortly before Peyton and I got engaged and calling Ellis with tears in my eyes and saying "We have been friends for almost TEN years!".

Dance: Slow Dancing: "Wonderful Tonight" (Eric Clapton), "Moondance" (Van Morrison, "The Way You Look Tonight" (Frank Sinatra), "When a Man Loves a Woman" (Percy Sledge), "Have I Told You Lately That I Love You?" (Rod Stewart), and "I Don't Know Much" (Aaron Neville). Fast Dancing: Motown/Beach Boys/other oldies.

Dating: Since I listed everyone else already, with Peyton--"Ran Away on the Top of the World Today" by OAR, "Take My Breath Away" by Berlin (soo corny, I know), "Danny's Song" by Kenny Loggins, "Thunder Road" and "If I Should Fall Behind" by Bruce Springsteen, and "Try and Catch the Wind" by Donovan.

Totally Depressing: "Lying Eyes" by the Eagles (it would break my heart if my "love was given only to a man with hands as cold as ice", "Red Rag Top" (makes me cry EVERY time because: a) someone is begging someone else to "please don't stop loving me" and b) they abort their baby. SUCKS.), also "The River" by Bruce Springsteen, about another depressing unplanned pregnancy. Glad *SOMEONES* worked out for them, ahem.

Turn the Radio Up: Well, I listen to oldies radio. So...."Only the Good Die Young" by Billy Joel. But, I do agree with Ashley about "Single Ladies"--great pop song.

Summer Is Here: "Escape" (the Pina Colada song) by Rupert Holmes, anything by the Beach Boys or Jimmy Buffet, "Summertime" by George Gershwin, and "In the Summertime" by Mungo Jerry.

A Difficult Time: "If You Want Me To" by Ginny Owens and "It Is Well with My Soul" always help me during hard times.

Sappy: "Because You Loved Me" by Celine Dion. Hate. That. Song.

80's Perfection: "Every Rose Has It's Thorn" by Poison, "To Be With You" by Mr. Big, and "We Belong" by Pat Benatar.

What Is This Blasphemy?: any songs that degrade women (read:most rap music)

How/Why Do I Even Like This?: CDs made for children with songs like "She'll be Coming Around the Mountain" and "Afternoon Delight" by Captain and Tennille (gross!!)

My Childhood: most anything from the Big Chill Soundtrack, but especially "My Girl" by the Temptations and "Joy to the World" by Three Dog Night. Motown was a fave at our house. Also, anything from a Rogers and Hammerstein musical.

My Right Now: "On a Night Like This" by Dave Barnes (LOVE LOVE LOVE HIM) and "So Are You to Me" by EastMountainSouth (both are on a CD I burned that is entitled "Mushy"). Also a newly discovered Tom Petty song called "Keeping Me Alive".

Wake Up: "Here Comes the Sun" by the Beatles, "Rise and Shine (and Give God the Glory Glory)" for any children I ever have, and a little lesser know tune called "Kiss an Angel Good Morning" by Charley Pride.

Relax: "Let It Be" by the Beatles, "Without Expression" by John Melloncamp, "Wonderful Remark" by Van Morrison, "and "Farmhouse" by Phish, lots of stuff by Sufjan Stevens.

Roll the Windows Down: "Burning Love" by Elvis Presley and "Bad Moon Rising" by Creedence Clearwater Revival

Sing It Loud: "In a Big Country" by Big Country, "Mighty Quinn" by Bob Dylan,
and "Full Force Gail" by Van Morrison.

Dance in Your Car: "I Feel the Rain Fall" by Red House Painters (Peyton and I made up SUPER goofy motions).

Pretend Your a Singing Star: "Faith" by George Michael and "I'll Stand By You" by the Pretenders.

Memory with Mom: She used to play "Battle Hymn of the Republic" on the piano while Cookie and I marched around a big leopard print ottoman in our living room. Those were great times and that song gives me chills.

Memory with Dad: "Jack and Diane" by John Cougar Melloncamp and "Moonshadow" by Cat Stevens; they remind me of riding in the car on the way to the swimming pool in the summer. I love that Cookie and I sang things like "Diane's sitting on Jackie's lap; got his hand between her knees" without knowing what we were saying-haha! Also, the song "Daughter" reminds me of my dad's (very moving) speech at our rehearsal dinner.

Convicting: "In Christ Alone" by Stuart Townend (also "O Church Arise"--really anything from the "Modern Hymn movement"), and "How Deep the Father's Love" and "Wonderful, Merciful Savior" by Phillips, Craig, and Dean

Nostalgia: There are so many "90's songs" that take me back to about 7th grade--"Kiss Me" by Sixpence None the Richer, "Save Tonight" by Eagle Eye Cherry, "I Don't Want to Miss A Thing by Aerosmith, and "Iris" by the Goo Goo Dolls. For some reason, "Oh Very Young" by Cat Stevens takes me back to this exact time. I don't know why, but those few years when I was 13-14 years old are such a nostalgic time for me.

Lullaby: "Beautiful Dreamer" and "When You Wish Upon a Star". Tears.

Spiritual Awakening: "Be Thou My Vision" (sung by Van Morrison), "Amazing Grace", and David Crowder's version of "Come Thou Fount". More tears.

Movie Memory: "Edelweiss" of course reminds me of The Sound of Music, but also of my dad playing it beautifully on his guitar. Cookie and I also used to "Wash That Man Right Out of My Hair" (from South Pacific) at the pool and in the bathtub.

A Wonderful Memory: One Christmas morning when we were little we got a Karioke machine from Santa. My (really introverted) dad did the most amazing Elvis impersonation (he can do great impressions) of Elvis Presley singing "In the Ghetto". It was priceless.


Okay, I said this was exhaustive, but I thought up a few of my own categories. I may add an addendum later this week.

No comments: