Monday, December 28, 2009

An Annie Update and Some Good News for a Change

I called the pediatrician this morning and left a message telling them about my concerns about AP's weight. They were super quick to return my call and since Doctor Denney was sick himself, I talked to a really nice nurse.

She just told me that around Ann Peyton's age is when a lot of babies slow down in putting on weight. She said they lengthen out, but are not gaining as much. I knew this was a common once they started crawling due to them being more active, but she said that even before that her body is getting ready to crawl/walk and she needs to be leaner and less of a "ball". She also said her two boughts of sickness (the fever virus she's got now and a double ear infection/diarrhea bought she had back in October) could have caused her to loose a few ounces.

She said that she is probably wanting more and more solids and to nurse less and that is okay--she might be ready to go to a more traditional three-four nursings a day (she nurses five times now). She said she might be making it easy on me and starting to wean herself.

I mentioned that I hoped not to have to do formula. Her words--"Oh, you won't". She said at her next check-up, which is next week, they'll look at her iron levels. Sometimes, if babies have enough iron, they can go ahead and start some cow's milk around ten months.

It occured to me that I really need to get back to reading my "What to Expect the First Year" book, because a lot of times it addresses my concerns before I even have them. It's always saying things just like what the nurse said. I used to spend a lot more time "researching" things for AP, because Peyton and I consider that part of my job. And I really do need to get back on that.

Needless to say, I was very releived! And thank y'all so much for your kind comments on my post yesterday-they really helped me. It means the world to me to hear from other moms who've gone through similar situations.

NOW for the other good news......

AP will be getting a new friend this summer! Her BFF Aubrey is going to be a big sister!!! Aubrey is about six months ahead of Annie, so I have learned so much about everything from baby food to sleeping practices to car seats from her and her adorable momma, Carrie. Carrie is my first close friend that will have multiple children, so I am looking foward to learning a lot from the Howie girls, again! I'm also excited because now Carrie won't have to say "don't mention this on your blog" every time I see her (because I'm that girl who can't keep a secret)!

5 comments:

Rachel said...

That sounds like GREAT news to me! I know how you feel when super worried about something - sometimes all you need is someone to reassure you that everything really is alright.

Christy said...

YAY!!!!

I am so glad that your fears were put to rest! My children both went through that phase. What is really funny is when they get past the toddler years and stop gaining period! Laura Grace has been the same weight for three years now :)

The Niemeyer Nest said...

YAY for the good news! It makes sense that they lose a little weight to prepare to move their little bodies. Recently, I have started nursing Evie 3-4 times per day and once a day she gets whole milk mixed with a little yogurt milk. She seems to be doing good but I am sad that nursing is coming to an end! It's been such a good experience for us!

Rachel said...

hey girl! I forgot to mention that I changed my blog url to www.ourbellavida.blogspot.com - thanks for reading! :) And I'm looking forward to your Q&A post!

Carrie said...

Aww, thanks for sharing our news! I'm telling you the same thing I told Ash: This baby needs a little Herrrington friend close to his or her age! :)

I'm glad you're feeling better about Ann Peyton's situation.