Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Honestly!


Ashley gave me the Honest Scrap Award. Ashley and I went to the same college, but didn't really know each other. We really became friends because of our blogs. She is pretty much a blog diva with over a hundred followers and when we're in public, people stop her and say "Ohmygosh! I read your blog"; so it's really an honor to get an award from her!

Rules for the award:
1. Must thank the person who gave you the award and list their blog and link it.

2. Share "10 Honest things" about yourself.

3. Present this award to 7 others whose blogs you find brilliant in content and/or design, or those who have encouraged you.

4. Tell those 7 people they've been awarded HONEST SCRAP and inform them of these guidelines in receiving the award.

Okay, here are my honest things:
1. Sometimes, I'm way to honest and it gets me in trouble. Peyton and my mom like to say that I don't have a "filter", but I think that I am getting MUCH better with age!

2. I kind of think my whole personality is a conundrum. I'm really opinionated and there was a time when I'd tell anyone my opinion on anything, but now I often avoid confrontation. In some situations, I think it's a sign of maturity, in others I think it's a sign of cowardice.

3. Also, I love analyzing personality types and temperaments. When studying my own personality, it showed that I was equal in three of the four types (most people are two types and one is dominant). I was the fun loving "entertainer", the bossy "doer", and the pensive "thinker". The only thing I wasn't was the relaxed "diplomat". I think this is part of why I am such a complex person (and I don't say that out of arrogance). I think that this is absolutely intriguing and I'm probably going to "retest" myself soon.

4. Related to this, I find it riveting to hear my parents talk about mine and my sister's personalities as children. I was what is known as a "strong willed child", but my mom was very hesitant to label me as that. In fact, I think she was just hesitant to label me (she didn't realize that I had anxiety issues until Peyton unofficially diagnosed me when we were dating). I found this book recently
http://images.contentreserve.com/ImageType-200/0293-1/%7B5756F94B-E230-475E-BB55-9A9B78F0E4AB%7DImg200.jpg
It kind of puts a more positive spin on the "strong willed child" phenomenon, I think. I had to show it to my mom because the subtitle basically described five year old SD with perfection (a guide for parents whose child is more intense, sensitive, perceptive, persistent, energetic). I was so intense and so sensitive--I worried about things most children my age didn't really think about. I was very perceptive of the things happening around me and of adult conversations and was so persistent, especially in my questions, which seemed to never end. I was just always a "thinker". And, it was very hard on my parents, especially my mom, who really didn't have answers to many of my questions. I'm not sure I had that much more energy than the average child, but the rest are perfect descriptors.

5. Continuing right along, because I'm in love with this topic, there is probably nothing more interesting to me right now, in the entirety of creation, than thinking about what Ann Peyton's little personality will be like. I read this post a long time ago and LOVED the way the writer was able to analyze her toddler's personality because 1) she took an interest in it and 2) she knew her child so well. I loved it for about a million other reasons, as well, including the titular reference to and ensuing quotes from When Harry Met Sally, one of thegreatestmoviesevermade.

6. Every time I wear my warmest, carmel wool coat, I think about ADA Alex Cabot from Law and Order: SVU and I sort of mourn the law career that I never had. Because had I actually followed through my my elementary/junior high/high school dream of being a lawyer I would most likely be an Assistant District Attorney in New York City prosecuting heinous sex crimes. Or fighting insurance companies and writing wills in Jackson. One of the two. Prosecuting sexual predators would be the second best job in the world, I have *the* best job, currently.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_z995Y9TvITw/SZtlY213MVI/AAAAAAAADVY/jV1Rh5wiobQ/s400/return+of+alex+cabot.jpg

7. Speaking of, coats are one of my obsessions. Some women love shoes or handbags. Here are my favorites:
- coats
- (cute) bath robes
- aprons
- pajamas (I know have a baby pajama obsession to go with it)

8. I recently saw a really cute "outfit" for Ann Peyton, but it turned out it was pajamas. I asked the sales lady which it was and said I thought she'd just wear it as play clothes and I was going to get it monogrammed. She was pretty snooty and said people who shopped there would recognize it as pj's. I'm pretty sure people recognize my "dresses" from Anthropologie as part of their loungewear line (you may remember that I define the term "dress" very loosely), but whatevs. What's good for the goose is good for the gosling. On a related note, I think I've finally gotten Peyton to understand why her pj's have to be cute, when we're the only ones who see her in them. I don't just dress her preciously (IMO) so others can admire her. That's part of it--shallow, I know. But I also like to admire her. And that includes when she's in her night nights.

9. Since this post has obviously been filled with it, yet another thing that I think is oh so fascinating is the concepts of "steam of consciousness". I love how my conversations with Peyton and my close friends can almost be like a game of telephone because they start out about one thing and end up about something that is 180 degrees unrelated, but it is SO related!

10. Blogging has gotten to be a big part of my life. I kind of hate to admit it to people who don't have/read blogs, because I can tell they think it's stupid. But I have always enjoyed writing and I love having this venue. It is so much more than telling about what is going on in my life--I really love sharing my feelings here. Recently, I read a post where someone compared their Google Reader to a Smorgasbord and I LOVED the analogy--I have found the most interesting variety of people through this. And sometimes, when I find a really great new blog, it's like finding a new friend and a finding a great book all at the same time!

Here are the seven people I give the award to:
- Rachel B.
- Alison
- Catherine
- Jamie
- Rachel R.
- Mary Louis
- I'm going to just leave it at six, because everyone else that I want to tag either won't do it or Ashley already tagged them. Ha!


I hope they ALL do it, because I LOVE finding out new things about people (NOISY!)

4 comments:

The Niemeyer Nest said...

Great post! I need to get that book for my Evie. She is spirited and sensitive. You should have seen her today when the kitchen guy came. She was happily eating her snack in her highchair. She saw him and went CRAZY! I think she takes after me. HA!

Tiffany said...

Sarah, it's lovely to meet you, officially! I think I recognize your name from Ashley's blog, as well. Y'all get together for lunch dates with your baby girls a lot, right? You have a very interesting list here. I also love to analyze things, especially personalities. I can't say I have ever been interested in law, though. I love Mariska Hargitay's character,but, I could never do her job. I'd never be able to seperate my work from my personal life, and I'd be a basket case if aa offender got away and there was nothing I could do about it. I'd rather work the psychology route with victims, like B.D.Wong's character. You were saying that my number 10 was different for you. Let me clarify. One of my hubby's best friends in the world is a girl, Reagan. She was even in our wedding on his side. I'll post about that soon. But, I've known Reagan from the beginning of our relationship 14 years ago. We've been married almost 9 years now. I know her and trust her completely. We are friends too. And there has never, ever been anything between them. They have never been attracted to one another, held hands, kissed, or dated. I have guy friends too, from childhood that were strictly friends. And that's ok. We discussed and decided we'd never push any of our friends out of our lives, but, there is no need in creating new close intimate friendships of the opposite sex. Does that make more sense? I should clarify that on my blog. Anyway, it's so good to meet you. I think we both have new readers;)

Catherine Sledge said...

Hey sweet chica! Thanks for tagging me! I'm flattered. :) Hope you don't think I'm a stalker but--I actually read your blog every day! I mostly read blogs on my phone, during the day when I have a minute or two of downtime waiting on a patient, etc. So even though I don't get to post as much as I'd like, I'm a pretty faithful reader! :) Ps--would it be weird if I came with you and Ashley sometime on a lunch date? I feel like I know AP and Evy, and I'd love to meet them in person sometime!

Rachel Bolanos said...

thanks for the award!! i wrote my honest post and mentioned how much i love your blog!