Wednesday, December 30, 2009

SD's Answers- Part 1 (Work Questions)

So, I'm going to do the "work related" questions first......

What was your job before motherhood?
My degree is in elementary education. I also have the equivalent of a minor in history so I can teach high school history. But, I have never taught full time.

I had a job lined up after I graduated in 2008, but it was at a private (Catholic) school and they did not get the enrollment they needed. I was the last one hired, so I was the first to be let go. They called me at the last minute to tell me I didn't have a job. I mean the. last. minute. It was two days before the first day of school. I had my whole classroom set up. I was crushed. Heartbroken. BUT....I found out I was pregnant about two weeks later. God provides.

I know that I could not have handled being a first year teacher and being pregnant (especially since it was not a "planned by us" pregnancy) and learning to be a wife. HE knew better. He always does.

[I subbed some and did After School Care at my old elementary school and subbed at my old high school last year when I was pregnant].


Do you plan to go back to work?
Eventually, probably. I don't really know right now. I will say this, when my children are school aged (all of them), if I am not home-schooling them, I will be teaching. Peyton and I are thinking about homeschooling, though. It is a long way off, but it is very neat to think about using all my training to teach Annie and her brothers/sisters.

That said, if they end up going to public or private school, I will go back to teaching. I say this with NO shame (in fact, I said it with NO SHAME in one of my education classes): part of the reason I picked teaching as my career is because it "fits" so well with being a Momma. I want to be home in the afternoons and the summers. I will have work outside of school, but it is nice to know I will never be in an office until six or seven o'clock. I have felt judged and belittled for saying that, and I would never say it is the ONLY reason I choose the field of education, but it is an important reason.


Where do you work at Mother's Morning Out?
The Mother's Day Out Program (I always call it Mother's Morning Out, ha!) is at our church in Brandon. Our church has a full day kindergarten for three to five year olds and now they are meeting a need for a part-time child care program in the Brandon area. It is wonderful to be a part of such an important ministry!


How is you job at Mother's Morning Out Going?
Honestly, I LOVE it. I feel like I'm being so much more productive than I could force myself to be at home. On the days I stay home all day, sometimes, I honestly feel like I accomplish less. I really feel a sense of pride from doing it. It is only four hours a day, two days a week, so it is not a huge time commitment; but it is something. Certainly, I DON'T love getting up at 5:45 on Tuesdays and Thursdays, but once I get there it is so worth it! I am blessed by the women I work with and by the mothers who minister to me. I do think it's a good experience for Ann Peyton, too. I'm glad she is getting to be around other children and learning that she can't always be the center of Mommy's universe.

4 comments:

Sherrie said...

I agree that teaching is the perfect career if you are a working mommy. My boys go to school in the district where I teach and we always have the same days off (including snow days). I love having the time off with them that I do.

Christy said...

being a mom is one reason I chose education as well :)

I also teach Mothers Morning Out-I have since Laura Grace was a baby. I love doing it for the same reasons that you do :)

Emily said...

That is one of the main reasons why I chose to be a teacher, too!

The Niemeyer Nest said...

I agree! I taught for seven years before I became Evie's mommy! I would love to job-share one day so I can still have some time to volunteer in Evie's class and get things done around the house. I am looking into a MMO program for this fall for me to work in and Evie to go to maybe 2 days a week. Great answers!