Thursday, December 31, 2009

SD's Answers- Part 2 (Quetions about the Hubbykins)

Where and how did Peyton propose to you?
Well, it was very sweet. We had been dating for almost four years. I knew he was probably going to ask me soon, but I was till VERY surprised. I know that sounds weird, but we had been talking about it for awhile and we knew we wanted to get married the summer after I graduated from college. My mom even asked me before we got engaged if we should go ahead and book the church. But, truthfully, I was scared he would never ask me. I'll do a more detailed post on it sometime, but we went through several times of Peyton not being "sure" over the almost four years we dated. I knew that he was afraid of commitment and until the moment we said our vows there was a tiny fear in me that he'd back out. That fear is 100% gone now. The good thing about Peyton taking his sweet time is that the reason he did it is because he is SO committed to keeping those vows. Obviously, I am, too, but I say in all honesty that I have NEVER known anyone who truly believed the words "to death do us part" the way Peyton does. He takes them so seriously.

Anyway, onto the story. It was a Friday night in October of 2007 (I don't remember the exact date, how bad is that??) and I had just been to a wedding shower for a friend. He was meeting me at my parents' house for (what else?) Red Beans and Rice. I got there and he was already there. I was tired and went downstairs to change into comfortable clothes. He told me he wanted to go snuggle in the backyard first (we loved laying in the backyard at my parents' house and looking at the stars). I told him okay, but I wanted to change, basically into my pajamas.. His words--"But, Sweetie, I really want to snuggle and kiss". [Gotta hand it to him, boyfriend knew I wouldn't be happy with pics in my pajamas]. So, I agreed.

We walked outside and headed down the hill toward the edge of the lake my parents live on. He picked me up and I was turned around so I couldn't see anything. I still didn't think anything was unusual. When he put me down we were standing by a table with roses on it. [He and my sister had set it up before I got home]. He got down on his knee and said "Sarah Denley Perry, will you marry me?" He tole me he loved me and some other stuff, but all I remember is that I was shaking and kept saying "Oh my gosh, Sweetie, is this really it? Sweetie? Sweetie?" Haha! He finally told me I needed to give him an answer. Of course I told him yes!

We hugged and kissed and ran upstairs and got my parents (who already knew). And I cried a bunch. And we popped the champagne he got. And took pictures.

There were two things I made clear to Peyton that I wanted in a proposal long before we were ready to get engaged:
1. I wanted him to actually get down on his knee.
2. I wanted him to ask my dad first.
And he did both! He had asked my dad several months before (they were already really close friends and Peyton was like a son to him).

Peyton had planned on doing it when our family (plus him) went to New York City just before Christmas. But he decided against it. He knew it would be really cold and I hate being cold about more than anything. Plus, the timing worked out better; a six month engagement would have stressed me out!

I am so glad he did it the way he did. At MC, where I went to college, it was almost like a competition to see who could have the best proposal story. But I don't care, I didn't need anything fancy smancy. It was so special, because it was in a place where we had made so many memories. We had spent years in that backyard under those same stars. Even when we were just best friends, he would come over and we would lay under the stars and talk for hours. So it was perfect because it was us.


What is your favorite thing to do with Peyton?
Ha! My mind immediately went to the gutter, even though if I gave that answer it would not be entirely accurate. Really, my all time favorite thing to do with Peyton is to talk. Pretty much that is my all time favorite thing to do period. Talk to people. But Peyton is my favorite to talk to. As I said, we spent SO many hours talking before we even dated. We shared our greatest fears and biggest dreams when we were just best friends. He knew that the biggest desire of my heart was to have a family one day, long before either of us had any idea he would end up being the head of that family. I knew that one of his biggest dreams was to live in New York, but I had no idea that I would end up promising him we would make that dream a reality together one day (more on that later). Anyway, I just love talking to him. He is a great conversationalist and he "gets" me. He understands me like no one else does and we just love making each other laugh and sharing our deepest thoughts.


How do you balance time with your family and Peyton's family?
What an interesting question! Honestly, we do spend more time with my family. Not that we're partial, it just works out that way. I see that in many families where both the husband and the wife have parents in town. Especially since I am staying at home with AP, I just end up seeing my family more than he does (mainly my mom).

But, when Peyton is off work we really like to go visit his family, too. We have been trying, lately, to make it more of a priority to see them more frequently. Peyton also has four siblings and that live in town, so there are a lot more people to see on his side.

Many times, my mom tends to just drop by our house unannounced. Peyton's mom will do this occasionally, but I know she doesn't want to feel like she's bothering us (I don't think my mom has ever considered that her presence could possibly be an intrusion). Really, I wish Peyton's mom would do it more!

Also, because we spent so much time at my parents' house when we were dating (Peyton had an apartment and then the house we live in now) it's almost like a second home. Not in the sense that we feel more welcome there. Just in the sense that I'll fall asleep on the couch and Peyton will play games on the computer. At his house, we pretty much go to actually visit with people.

This is so much fun! I still have several more questions to answer. I think "baby questions" will be next. If you have any more, keep "asking away".....

2 comments:

Christy said...

I love this post!!

I was thrilled that you are not afraid to admit your mind went to the gutter because that is so where mine would have gone. not that I am a pervert or anything...but you know what i mean. I hope.

Okay, what years were you at MC? I went there and I think that is why you look SO familiar to me. I was there from 2000-2006. The whole double major and having babies thing made me take FOREVER to graduate.

The Niemeyer Nest said...

Carl and Peyton sound very similar! Carl takes commitment very seriously. We dated 4 years before we got married. What a sweet story! Thanks for answering my question about balancing family time. Can you tell that is something that interests me? HA!