Thursday, December 3, 2009

Show Us Your Life- Christmas Trees

Photobucket


I love everything about a Christmas tree. I used to go with my parents to a Christmas tree farm and pick out our tree every year--a real tree is a necessity for me. I love the smell and just how it fills up the whole house (I know it is extra work, but so worth it to me!).
My dad, a great tree, and my beloved Four Runner...looking just like National Lampoons.

But this year, things were kind of crazy and I knew Ann Peyton wouldn't remember it anyway, so Peyton just got ours at the farmer's market in town. He put the lights on it and then I decorated it.

Our tree in a kind of a hodgepodge of different things. I've never been one who is into structured, matchy matchy trees. Don't get me wrong, they can be beautiful. But growing up, our tree had such a variety of ornaments and many of them had a story. That is how I wanted my own Christmas tree to be. A kitschy, vintage tree that had character and "looked like me".

I love a few funky ornaments.

It's really special to me that I have some of the ornaments I loved as a child. I just adored this braided candy cane when I was little.

And some from Peyton's childhood, too. He has a whole collection of "Bible story" ornaments! Isn't Jonah so cute?

My mom picked out a couple of sweet ones that had kind of a retro feel to them last year, since it was our first Christmas as a married couple.

I think it's fun to have a few "nice" ornaments. My mom got some on major sale last year at Batte, after Christmas.

I love that I have a few truly vintage ornaments that have been in my family for years!

That's my tree. It's nothing special. Aside from being super special to me.


What is impressive, however, is my parents tree. They have an atrium area in their house, so they get a huge tree. It's really neat because one of their neighbors has an even huger tree that is actually growing in his backyard that he uses a pully system to get lights onto. You can see it in the window right behind my parents tree. I need to get a picture of it.
My dad said they might stop doing the big tree; it's so much work. I told him if they were going to do it, this was the year to do it. Because, if they stop this year, I'm not going to make them go back to it next year. But if they do it this year, then next year when AP is old enough to notice, I'm not going to let them stop. Ha!

No comments: