Tuesday, December 22, 2009

The Twelve Days of Christmas- FOUR New Year's Resolutions

Okay, so I know these aren't really about "Christmas", but I wanted to go ahead and list them. Also, just for the record, I also realize that the true Twelve Days of Christmas occur after Christmas day. However, I didn't want to write a bunch of posts listing all things Christmas after Christmas was over with and I'm sure no one would want to read it (does anybody want to read it now? ha!). Anyway, I'm pretty sure the week following Christmas will consist of at least a post a day of Christmas pictures/stories/ect. Soooo...RESOLUTIONS:

** Oh yeah, I'm not doing the "weight loss" kinda resolutions. I mean that would be kind of scary if that was a goal for me, but hopefully you get what I am saying.....no more "quit biting my fingernails", "eat two vegetables a day", "drink less coke" resolutions this year. [Not that anything is wrong with resolutions of that nature].

Okay, ready, go:

4. Spend more time serving/ministering to others. I'm going to include strangers and friends on this one. There are so many opportunities; I just need to open my eyes! I have really been convicted about that lately. Serving others is one of Peyton's biggest gifts, and I want to cultivate that within myself and later help Annie learn to have a servant's heart, as well. I think that I tend to (wrongly) justify my lack of service by saying "Well, right now, in this season, I just can't do much....with Ann Peyton and everything". The thing is, though, I don't have to be working at a soup kitchen or building a Habitat house to be serving my community. My friend Sarah had a great post on how she makes Christmas treats for her garbage men and it reminded me of this beautiful post Angie Smith wrote after her Compassion trip about serving back home in her own town. I want to serve like that.

3. Spend more time learning more about my best friend on this earth (also know as, "Huuuungry Bear", or "Sweetie RX", or JimBobInTraining (okay, I am TOTALLY just kidding about that last one--it just cracked me up that I got multiple comments on my Duggar reference in the last post)). Anyway, it's time to turn off the tv and unplug the computer(s) and have more conversations.

2. Spend more time enjoying my sweet girl. I just want to make the absolute most of this time-playing with her, reading to her, holding her, and cuddling with her. There is a thought has been on my mind and in my heart SO much lately. The fact is that she is the only baby I will ever have that I will have the option of devoting that much time and attention to. I want to take advantage of that.

1. Spend more time getting to know my Savior. I am so glad that he is faithful when I am not. I want a prayer life that is not an afterthought, a worship experience that is not a routine, and a quiet time that is not a chore. I want to know him better as a friend. As a person. As my person. My go-to person for EVERYTHING.

So, there they are.

All about time. All about priorities. All about relationships.

Basically, all that matters in life.

2 comments:

Sherrie said...

Sometimes if we don't make a concerted effort to spend time the way we should it can completely get away from us. Sounds like you have some great goals for the coming year. Good luck!

The Niemeyer Nest said...

Thanks for getting me thinking! You are right - we will not have this much time to concentrate on our next baby!