Wednesday, December 23, 2009

The Twelve Days of Christmas- THREE Christmas Wishes for Ann Peyton

These things just keep getting deeper by the day!

3. That she will be able to experience the magic of Christmas just as much as I did as a child. I had the BEST Christmases and my parents never broke the bank to make it happen. My mom is just very creative (one year when I loved playing "office" I got tons of markers, paper clips, and scotch tape that she had bought way back in September when they went on sale after back to school; another year Cookie and I got a cardboard playhouse--it was a large cardboard box shaped like a house and we had so much fun making curtains and drawing flowers on it). And she put things out in a way that would just take your breath away. She could have been a store front window display person! And she (and my dad) really let us enjoy our imaginations and believe that it was all the work of good old Saint Nick. Sidenote: I think that I have mentioned on here that Peyton and I had our first real parenting disagreement over Santa Claus. I am happy to say it is resolved and after Christmas I plan on doing a complete post about the whole thing (I have this bad feeling I am going to be posting stuff relating to Christmas all January long).

2. That she will realize how blessed she is to be surrounded by so many people that love her. This goes for every day of the year, but it took me awhile before I really understood how important it was to me to be with my family over the holidays. And not everyone is that fortunate. I hope spending time with family (us and her grandparents and other relatives) comes to mean half as much to her as it does to me. If it does, that will be a ton!

1. That she she will be able to "keep the main thing the main thing" at Christmas time (and throughout the year). This is something I struggle with a lot, so I hope that I won't fail miserably at trying to teach it to her. It is so easy for me to get so frustrated by multiple Target trips that I do not even think of Mary and Joseph's difficult journey. I so often get so worked up over decorating my home that I don't think of their poor accommodations one cold winter night so long ago. And, it is not hard to get so caught up in the hustle and bustle that is Christmas that I forget to sit and reflect on the beauty of a child in a manger who would grow up to save a lost world.

Not too much to ask for, huh?

No comments: