Sunday, December 6, 2009

Weekly Happenings Post #38 (November 30-December 6)


So, I have decided I am mad at my friend Carrie for stealing my "Weekly Happenings" idea, after all. Because she always has such cute titles! But I'll give her a couple of months and we'll see if she's numbering hers, too.
This week was a mix. Overall, it was pretty calm and I managed to get some of the "time sensitive" items (as in, related to Christmas) items done on my to-do list.

Monday was fun. I did some housework (changed our sheets and did some other laundry) in the morning and then we went to my parents' house and had my mom's friend Sally take our Christmas card pictures. After that, we all ran some errands. We went by the bank, because I have not been keeping my checkbook balanced very well and I needed to see what some checks were for that were not showing up online. Then we went by the financial planners office to drop something off. We ended up stopping by Pizza Hut for dinner. Just after we got settled we realized Peyton's brother, Andrew's, birthday party was that night. We went ahead and ordered and then went to the party.

On Tuesday Annie and I had Mother's Morning Out and when we got home, Peyton had already gone and gotten our Christmas tree. I straightened the house and worked on our finances some and my mom came over for a bit. I cooked vegetables for supper and we got the Christmas stuff down from the attic. We also took the high chair base (we use it attached to one of our kitchen chairs) and Annie's swing to the attic. Peyton said when the tree was gone, we could get the swing back down, but I kind of think it was the end of it for this baby...bittersweet! I organized a bit in the attic, since I was up there anyway. I also tried to make our Christmas card, but the pictures Sally emailed me wouldn't work.

Wednesday, AP and I got up and went to Sally's house to get the memory card so I could try to make the card work. Then I went to Walgreens and had the pictures put on a disk and dropped the card off at my parents' so my mom could give it back to Sally. I got the cards ordered, did a little DVR purging and decorated the tree some (Peyton got the lights on it in about fifteen minutes before he had to go to work).

On Thursday we had MMO and then we had lunch with Carrie and Aubrey and Ashley and Evy at the NEW Beagle Bagel in Madison. We always go to the one in Ridgeland, but this one had much better accomodations in the realm of child seats (TONS of high chairs, boosters, and even one of those things to put AP's carrier in so we won't accidentally knock her off a chair or something). Also, I changed a diaper and their Koala was pretty impressive. The owner was super nice, although I failed to be clear when telling him our names and I think the double names kind of threw him for a loop and he was trying to think of who he knew with the last name "Denley" or "Peyton" (he was so friendly and tried to figure out if he knew any of our husbands, ha!). Anyway, welcome to life with a double name Ann Peyton, I know you'll enjoy walking this cursed road with me for the rest of your life.

After that, we went to a childrens' clothing "sample sale". The deals aren't really as good as consignment buys, but they are still great, if you do it right! I think that I did great and AP will look smashing this summer (wow, I'm so modest!). I'm pretty sure I'll do a post featuring my deals soon (upcoming post reference #1). I'm going to another sale on Tuesday and I'm pretty excited about that, too!

Friday was really laid back, which seems to be the case lately and for which I'm thankful! I just did laundry and light cleaning and decorated some more for Christmas (I'm bad at doing it all in one swoop) and then I went to my parents' for Beans and Rice. We went a little early because Annie didn't want to take an afternoon nap and just got Peyton's "to go" (we actually ended up dropping them off in the drive thru at the Walgreens!). When he got home we had fun in the snow.

On Saturday, Annie and I had another lazy day while Daddy worked. I do miss football season, but these relaxing weekends are SO nice! When he got home, I made some Rice Krispie treats, put AP to bed, and we watched Valkyrie. It was so good; of course, I love history and am fascinated by Nazis, so I guess my opinion might not be the majority. I'm going to do a movie review post sometime in the near future (upcoming post reference #2).


And then today. Today was one of those days. I woke up with plenty of time (I thought) for church. I woke Peyton up and asked him to get AP ready. He was kinda unresponsive. I was kinda a super annoying wife. He ended up getting up finally and he got AP ready and we were both behind schedule. We were standing there with Peyton scraping ice off my windshield with a spatula and he said he just didn't think he was going to go.

I don't really mind being a few minutes (oh, say, fifteen) late to church. I used to think that since I'm a pretty organized person, it really didn't make any sense that I was always late. When I told Peyton the other day how one of my friends couldn't believe I didn't have to have AP on a better schedule because of this, he said "Well, you've always been good at making schedules, but never good at following them". Which is true, I guess. I've always been a poor time manager and baby makes it even more of a struggle. The day I nail this one will be a day of rejoicing; more than likely a day of rejoicing at the King's feet, litchrally. Anyway, the point I'm working on it, but I'm a work in progress. And having someone who can't defend themselves to blame it on. Well, just one of the many perks of motherhood.

However, Peyton HATES being late, especially to church and since he was going to have to leave early to make it to work he said that was just too much rudeness and he wasn't going to go. I know church is really important, and I do try to make it every week, but today I just decided it was more important to be together as a family. So, we stayed home and listened to a Mars Hill podcast. It was about trials and how to respond to them. Just the sermon was almost an hour. Our pastor doesn't preach near that long and the only church services I've been to where one does are either at Orthodox churches or African American churches. But, I enjoyed it and I think I'm going to relisten to it again this week; it was so good!

Then I went to a baby shower for my friend Haley. She'll be having baby Hank in January, hopefully not before. Annie is so excited she can hardly handle herself when she sees Haley; I think she may know her future husband is in there. He's definitely ready to meet her, too, but we keep reminding him he needs to cook a little bit longer!

After that I went by my parents' house. We hung out and read some baby books that I loved when I was little. I think I'm going to do a post soon about my favorite books from childhood (upcoming post reference #3); actually, though, that is going to have to be multiple posts!

And then.....as we were leaving, I noticed my trunk was popped, so I put the car in park (I thought) and jumped out and shut it. As I was walking back around, the car starts slowly moving backward. I hurried and jumped in the driver's seat and mashed the brake, and slamed it into park, and turned off the car entirely, and just sat there for a good forty five seconds. Then I got Annie out, squeezed her and went, shaking, bake inside the house. It wasn't until a few minutes later that I even thought "what if it had started rolling while I was behind it?" (who knows why it didn't); I had just been thinking of the hill a few yards behind the car and Annie rolling down it into the Reservoir.

Seriously, why does it feel like I have some kind of catastrophe EVERY week where either Ann Peyton, me, or the both of us nearly meet our Maker? There's always a car seat failure, or a suffocation hazard, or some kind of incident. And I really don't think Peyton and I are bad parents. I think it's just my anxiety, and I spend a few days thinking about the near tragedy and then a few more thinking of the "what ifs" and then a few more beating myself up. I don't know; I feel like it's a battle for my mind, sometimes. I don't want to have to get back on Lexapro (not that it's a terrible thing, but I'd like to be able to do without it), but motherhood is so taxing on me in this way. I thought about the sermon I heard this morning and the main message, which was "the reason we can rejoice in trials is because life is short and eternity is long". Not that I don't love this life and enjoy it so much and want it to last so long; but on dark days I am so glad for the promise of an even longer eternity.

This coming week is starting to look fun already. It's the last full week of MMO out before Christmas break and I feel like I have a ton to do!

2 comments:

Rachel Bolanos said...

Glad you enjoyed the sale! He does it twice a year - June & December. Next time you'll have to ask for me and say hello..I haven't seen you in years! :)

Tiffany said...

It is a natural first mother right of passage to be worried, or anxious about every little thing that could possibly happen to your baby. You love and adore her. Don't let the devil get into your head. Ephesians 6:12 tells us...For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. And 2 Corinthians 10:5 tells us...We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ. Just keep reminding yourself of these verses, when you feel like everything is in a tail spin. The devil is going to everything he can to get you down or make you feel like a failure. Take those thoughts captive and claim the protection that is yours though the blood of Jesus.