Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Won't You Read to Me? Wednesday

I decided that I wanted to do some sort of series of posts about one of my most favorite things ever, which is childrens' literature. My mother read to me since I was a baby and ever since I could read it has been one of my biggest (probably THE biggest) hobbies. Once I started reading chapter books, I would read three or four at a time. I would spend many, many hours on Saturdays and after school snuggled up somewhere reading. I still love to read, but I don't spend as much time doing it as I would like. Anyway, I think a main factor in my love of literature was my mom and I so strongly desire to cultivate the same interest in AP. So, I try very hard to read to her, even as a little baby, at least once a day.

Anyway, I thought it would be so much fun to do a series of posts about what I am reading to her. I'd love it if other people wanted to participate (and if you don't have children, I'd still love to hear your favorite childrens' books), so definitely tell me if you do, but I'm not expecting to start some huge blog carnival with all my 21 readers. I'm largely doing it for myself, because my blog is my daybook/journal/diary/scrapbook and I know that it will be fun to look back and see what we were reading one day in the future!

So, the first book that I am going to feature is.....

The Night Before Christmas
by Clement C. Moore

Compiled by Cooper Edens and Harold Darling
http://www.chroniclebooks.com/images/items/0811817/0811817121/0811817121_large.jpg

I have loved reading this classic poem to Ann Peyton. This particular version features illustrations by some of the best known illustrators of childrens' books from the late 19h and early 20th century. Each page was created by a different illustrator; the pictures were collected from various antique childrens' books.

As you probably know, I adore vintage things. This book just takes me back to a different time that I cannot adequately describe the beauty of. It is such a charming depiction of the past.



3 comments:

Christy said...

I LOVE this!! I will definately participate-Children's Books are one of my favorite topics :)

Mary Louis Quinn said...

I might have to join you as well. But I need to get better about reading to C first! :) I love to read, but she was so fussy for so long that I could never get her to sit still long enough, so I will try again!

Tiffany said...

We are reading The first Christmas right now, as well as many others in our reading basket this month. I don't have your version of The Night before Christmas, but that book is one in our basket. I love the cajun version of this story. It was a favorite of mine as a child. I lived in Louisianna before I lived in Mississippi growing up. I should post that one.