Thursday, January 7, 2010

SD's Answers- Part 6 (Miscellaneous Questions)

What's the most memorable trip you've ever taken?
Okay, I have to cheat again, on this one. I'm going to name two. And neither one is our honeymoon (eek! sorry, Sweetie). Or our NYC trip (sorry again!).

Tahoe City, California
I served as a summer missionary in Tahoe City the summer after my freshman year. I know, it sounds like a luxury vacay, right? It was not. I had really not had a true college experience of going off and leaving home and I knew I probably never would. So I forced myself to do something where I had to be independent (or really God-dependent).

It was four weeks. The four hardest weeks of my life. Some of the people there (the adults in charge of the program) said some really cruel and hurtful things. I was so homesick one morning and had gotten physically ill (not from being homesick, from something I ate I think) at a cook out the night before. One of the ladies in charge called me into her office and asked me why I was in the bathroom at the party the whole night (no one offered to take me back to where we lived). I told her I was throwing up. She went on and on about some stomach problem she had (she did have a pretty intense GI problem, or something) and how she smiled through it. She asked me if I thought God had made a mistake sending me there. I told her I didn't believe God made mistakes. She asked me if I thought I had made a mistake. I faltered. She walked out of the room and slammed the door. I stuck it out, though.

The hardest part wasn't the way people (or this person) treated me. The hardest part was that Peyton and I had decided not to speak to each other the whole time. We were really trying to evaluate our relationship and I believed that this would lead us one step closer to marriage. We weren't really broken up or anything. In fact, Peyton ate Bean and Rice with my parents one Friday night while I was away.

I cried to my mom almost daily. It was so hard for her. I battled anxiety (and I now beleive, most likely Satan) so much that month. I was so lonely. Worry crept in about so many things. I was terrified something bad would happen to my family while I was gone. I began to worry that my parents weren't truly saved (they both have a strong personal faith, but they don't attend church consistently).

I cried out to the Lord so often. It was such a hard trip and I wouldn't want to do it over again. But, I would. I learned to rely on myself for things, but more importantly to rely on Him who created me.

Washington D.C.
One year, when I was in college, Peyton and I went to Washington D.C. for a peace rally for Darfur. It was such a different experience. For one thing, in an effort to save money, we took a Greyhound Bus. Thirteen hours to get there. About fifteen to get back. We met some really interesting, sweet people.

When we got there, we stayed with a random student from Georgetown University. He and his roommate were very nice. We slept in sleeping bags in their "living room".

The rally itself and the events surrounding it were interesting. People's reaction to us was interesting. People could not believe that "backward southerners" who pretty much considered themselves to be evangelical Christians would have any interest in social justice. [By "evangelical Christian" I do not mean Christians who evangelize, although I do hope to be that. I am more referring to a movement within Christianity, which emphasizes the fundamental doctrines of Christianity, a Biblical worldview, and more often than not a tendency toward social conservatism. As a sidenote, the Methodist church does not identify itself as such, but rather as a (the largest) Mainline denomination. Our church, however (and most Methodist churches in the South) could really be classified more as "evangelical" in the beliefs and attitudes of their congregants. Although we agree with the Methodist theology and that is why we love it; we will most likely not be attending a Methodist church during our NYC year. Sorry-tangent!]

It was an experience like none other.

What type of music do you like?
I love almost all types of music. Not really rap and techno. But most others. I really like pop music from the late nineties (Sixpence None the Richer, Goo Goo Dolls, Eagle Eye Cherry) and eighties power ballads ("To Be With You" and "Every Rose Has It's Thorn"). And seventies singer songwriters (Cat Stevens, Simon and Garfunkel, and James Taylor). And sixties oldies (The Beach Boys, Motown, and the Beatles). But, pretty much at the end of the day, Bruce Springsteen takes home the prize.

The screen door slams
Mary' dress waves
Like a vision she dances across the porch
As the radio plays
Roy Orbison singing for the lonely
Hey that's me and I want you only
Don't turn me home again
I just can't face myself alone again
Don't run back inside
Darling you know just what I'm here for
So you're scared and you're thinking
That maybe we ain't that young anymore
Show a little faith there's magic in the night
You ain't a beauty but hey you're alright
Oh and that's alright with me....

Well I got this guitar
And I learned how to make it talk
And my car's out back
If you're ready to take that long walk
From your front porch to my front seat
The door's open but the ride it ain't free
And I know you're lonely
For words that I ain't spoken
But tonight we'll be free
All the promises'll be broken....

(from "Thunder Road")

Seriously, are those lyrics not beautiful? And the music is amazing. Runner-ups are Tom Petty and Van Morrison.

How did you meet Ashley and Carrie?
Haha, great question, since I mention them at least once a week! If you just tuned in, Ashley and Carrie are two of my best mommy friends. Carrie is having baby #2 this summer (super fun!) and Ashley is moving in several months (sucks!).

Let's see. I found Ashley's blog somehow a long time ago (through Facebook and mutual friends and things). Several of my friends had blogs that I liked to read, but I didn't even have mine yet. I knew who Ashley was because we went to the same college, but we didn't really know each other (just knew people knew each other). Anyway, I read her blog for a long time and loved it but didn't comment, because I didn't have my own blog and didn't really know how (now it's weird to me when people say they don't know "how" to comment on my blog!). I started my blog and when we had our babies within six weeks of each other last spring, we got to be good "blog friends". I think if you blog, this doesn't sound weird: I felt like I knew her a long time before we got to be friends in real life.

I actually "met" Carrie (as in face to face) first. She had commented back when AP was born that my OB was her's as well and that she had found my blog through Ashley's (we still refer to her as our "mutual friend"). I should have known she'd be a great friend since she was the ONLY person to comment on my birth story. Ha! Fast foward to the summer. I wrote a post about some legislation that is happening in our area. I said (as I always do in controversial posts) that I welcome polite disagreement. She politely disagreed. This leads us to realizing we live within a five minutes of each other (Jennifer, if you are worried, don't be.....Carrie's new house is only about ten minutes away; just in the other direction). I went out on a limb and ask her if she'd like to go to lunch (I don't have an abundance of mom friends, remember?). She agreed and we stayed at the restaurant for almost two hours! We confessed that we both expressed fear to our husbands that the other person could potentially be a crazar baby killer. FYI: Newk's is a good place for this type of meetings. Very public. Baby snatchers are frowned upon.

We ate again. A month or so later, we decided Carrie should combine her lunch date with Ashley and her lunch date with me (since her blog was the original catalyst for our friendship, anyway!). We ate and had a great time. Surprisingly, all three babies behaved. We did things pretty often. We decided to have a standing lunch date once a week (actually, I think that Carrie and Ashley decided to invite me to their standing lunch date once a week--did I mention they are super sweet girls?). Lifelong friendships formed: check.

I think that concludes my questions (now that I've taken like two weeks to do them). If I missed yours LET ME KNOW. And if you have any others....ask away! I have loved doing these!

4 comments:

Christy said...

I think that is so awesome that you went to that rally!

Christy said...

I also meant to say that we have the same taste in music. I love those 80s ballads and everyone makes fun of me for it! I also love the 90s pop music, Cat Stevens, and Goo Goo Dolls.

The Niemeyer Nest said...

I love how you met! Maybe I can meeet someone in my new town through my blog!

Marie said...

You and i are music soul mates!