Thursday, January 21, 2010

Show Us Your Life- Favorite Places to Shop

Photobucket

Um, wow, where do I even begin? I think the best way to go about this exhaustive topic is just to make a list (on of my all-time favorite activities). Soooo.....

Here are some places I like to shop in town:
1. Probably my favorite store of all times is Anthropologie. I just think it's is has cutest, most unique clothing. For a girl who loves detail, embroidery, lots of color, and tons of appliques and embellishments; I feel like this stuff was designed for me! I thought I had died and gone to retail heaven when we got one in our city. But let's be honest, the prices are pretty much redic. That is why usually upon entering I browse the entire store first and then head to the housewares section (some it is actually reasonable) and the sale room. This strategy works so well for me; I look at all the great stuff, but I save the best (what I can actually afford) for last. That way I'm not disappointed when I find more cute things after having shopped the sale room. My second strategy is this-- find the "loungewear" section. If you are not above wearing a nightgown as a dress, this can totally work for you and it's a fraction of the price of the real "clothes". Lots of the "loungewear"/pajamas look like real clothes. I wouldn't wear the pj pants, but I think you can totally get away with wearing the nightgowns that look like sundresses and obviously a hoodie is a hoodie, no matter what you call it. Truthfully, if you have an Anthro in your town, some people are going to recognize that your "dress" is a chemise, but no one has ever publicly called me on the carpet for it and I don't fear judgment.

For example, I think this is beautiful; but at $88 I'm not going to wear it TO BED. This is more casual and looks like a really fun sun dress to me.

2. Two places I could not live without are Marshalls and TJ Maxx. Clearly, we are going from high to low on this list, friends. Jackson residents are blessed with a Marshalls and a TJ Maxx that are (I do not lie) adjacent to each other. These places are AMAZING. Seriously, if you do not have one or both, write your legislator. Or something. Marshalls and the TJ are known for having fabulous stuff for even more fabulous prices. They often have designer items (purses, jeans, handbags, clothes) and also stuff that is just plain cute- some of the outfits my baby has gotten the most compliments on have come from these two places. The drain is you have to dig. I don't go unless I'm in the right frame of mind. A proper frame of mind is integral to a successful shopping experience. And, they can be hit or miss (some days I'll come out with more stuff than I can carry and a blown bank account and sometimes I leave with NOTHING).

3. Next, I'm going to say what probably everyone else doing this will say-- Target. I rarely, if ever, have success finding cute clothing for myself at Walmart, but Tarjay is an entirely different story. However, I feel like Target goes through periods of exponential growth (as far as cuteness) and then hits heavy slumps. I will say that I have $10 dresses and shirts from Target that are some of my favorite items in my closet. And I'll say that I rarely go into Target that I don't find something (clothes or otherwise) that I like.

4. Finally, really the only other place I shop in town is little boutiques. If you live here my two favorites are Material Girls and Migis. There is another one called Wink that I got several things from when I was pregnant. They had really great prices (like, I got four dress for around $100), but I haven't been in a long time. Actually, I haven't been to any of them recently. I just kind of feel like as an almost twenty five year old and a mom, I'm sort of on the tail end of their targeted demographic. Or maybe I'm not in it at all. Anyway....

As far as online, I'm going to keep it simple and recommend one place. eBay. Y'all.....ebay can be SO addicting; watch out! I'm really not a "label person", but Seven for All Mankind is my favorite brand of jeans. And I'm just not going to pay retail prices for designer denim. EVER. I've also found some great things for Ann Peyton (my little girl) on eBay. If you have a favorite brand you can save the search and it will e-mail you everytime a new item comes up. I've gotten some great, hardly worn things for AP this way (a lot of moms list boutique brand baby and childrens' clothes that have hardly been worn because they way over-purchased and could not get their child in all the stuff they bought). As a sidenote, if you're interested in more about my favorite places to get baby clothes I did a post on that, too.

Thanks for stopping by! I am so excited to see everyone else's ideas!

3 comments:

Christy said...

I can't say enough about Target...

Lesli said...

I love all of your stores and I Completely agree about T.J. Maxx and Marshalls...love those stores..they recently started getting Philosophy products that I LOVE so I am very happy about that! Oh and of course I love Target..who doesnt??? Thanks for sharing, have a great weekend!

Bernie said...

I love all of your stores. I am a T.J. Maxx and Marshalls girl. I can find so many great things at those stores.

Thanks for sharing.

Warmly,

Bernie