Monday, January 25, 2010

What's In a Name?



I've been meaning to write this post since, oh, I started this blog. Ashley left a comment the other day, though, and it got me thinking about it again.

I love music. It has been such a huge part of my life. When I started blogging and becoming more interested in social networking (wow, nerd alert!) I loved it when I saw someone's post of Facebook album that was named after a song. Ashley actually does this really well- sometimes I recognize them but sometimes, if I see a post that has a really "pretty" title on her blog, I usually Google it and find out that it is song that I've never heard (always a beautiful one).

When I started using Facebook to share photos, I decided that a fun goal would be to name every album after the title of or lyrics from a song. It has been a fun endeavor, especially coming up with ones for Ann Peyton's albums (I do one for her each month). However, I think I may have used all the good ones by the time we have another child (I probably will be doing good to do a yearly album for him/her, ha!).

All that to say, when it came time to pick a name for this blog, I knew it had to be either the title or lyrics from a song, as well. I played around with a few (I don't remember what, honestly), but the line "in the warm hold of your loving mind" from Donovan's Catch the Wind kept coming up.

This song has so much meaning to me. It is a song that Peyton and I both love and could really be "our song"; in fact, Peyton really wanted it to be the song we danced to for our first dance at our reception. But, it is a little melancholy and not really the way to bang, bang start a good party. And I might as well go ahead and say that though many of the lyrics ring true, it's really about how actually being with the one he loves is like trying to "catch the wind". So, not really the best choice to celebrate your hour old nuptials, right?

There are several songs that I just treasure, because they so beautifully express my feelings for the people I love. I think I'll do a post about some of the others soon, but this is one that is very important to me. I love the lines When sundown pales the sky, I wanna hide a while, behind your smile and When rain has hung the leaves with tears, I want you near, to kill my fears
To help me to leave all my blues behind, but my favorite are these:

In the chilly hours and minutes,
Of uncertainty, I want to be,
In the warm hold of your loving mind.


Those lyrics have rang true throughout our relationship, when life is chilly and filled with uncertainty, I want to be in the forefront of his thoughts and he in mine. Those lines have come to mean even more to me, though.

I started this blog when it was the two of us. We were both "contributors", the title reference alluded to both the thoughts and the people that occupied the space in the warm hold of [our] loving mind. I thought about changing the word "your" to "our" or even "their". But, we are "you" to those reading and more importantly, I wanted to stay true to the original lyrics. Also, I honestly thought more people would "get" it.

Like I said, the line has come to have additional meaning to me. The things I write about on here are mostly about the people (and occasionally the ideas) that are very close to my heart. Many people think that the name of the blog (and the lyrics of the song) say "in the warm hold of your loving arms". I am glad that is not what it says. Because there were many times in which Peyton and I were apart (when he was still at Ole Miss, when I lived in Tahoe for a month, even those seemingly long weeks when I had something going on every night at college and couldn't come home between weekends) when although we weren't in each other's arms, we were most assuredly, in the warm hold of each other's minds. It is something to be in another's thoughts constantly.

And, there it is. There will be a day (a long time from now, I hope!) when Ann Peyton is not consistently in my arms. But she will always be consistently in my thoughts. And I want her to know she always has been. The same could, theoretically, be true for Peyton (please God, take me first!), but he will always be in my thoughts until the day that I am called Home.

There are so many others. My parents. My sister. My best friends. People that, to varying degrees, I am not able to frequently take in my arms. But they are HERE, first and foremost in my mind, and then here, recorded for all time for the sake of remembering. That is what it means to be "In the Warm Hold of [Sarah Denley's] Loving Mind.


In the chilly hours and minutes,
Of uncertainty, I want to be,
In the warm hold of your loving mind.

To feel you all around me,
And to take your hand, along the sand,
Ah, but I may as well try and catch the wind.

When sundown pales the sky,
I wanna hide a while, behind your smile,
And everywhere I'd look, your eyes I'd find.

For me to love you now,
Would be the sweetest thing, 'twould make me sing,
Ah, but I may as well, try and catch the wind.

When rain has hung the leaves with tears,
I want you near, to kill my fears
To help me to leave all my blues behind.

For standin' in your heart,
Is where I want to be, and I long to be,
Ah, but I may as well, try and catch the wind.


***With the exception of my holiday playlists and one exclusively worship playlist, every playlist I have ever put on this blog begins with "Catch the Wind" and they always will.

4 comments:

Christy said...

I have wondered about the title of your blog and kept forgetting to ask!

I love this post-it is beautiful.Now I am going to go google that song!

Ashley said...

Lovely :) Just lovely!

Carrie said...

So cool! Sarah Denley's mind -- what a lovely place to be :)

Tiffany said...

This was really beautiful! I'm so glad you shared it. :)