Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Won't You Read to Me? Wednesday


Okay, first of all, how cute is this button that Ashley made for me?? If you're a detail person like I am you'll notice it says "Won't You Read to Me Wednesday", instead of "Will You Read to Me Wednesday?". I know I could've just asked Ashley and she would have changed it in a split second, but honestly, I thought it was way cuter. So, let's just pretend that that is the original title I personally came up with from the beginning, okay?

Please feel free to grab the button if you are playing along; it's right there in the sidebar toward the top.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I love childrens' books that are eloquently written and masterfully illustrated. The classics. The Caldecotts and the Newberrys. Goodnight Moon and Little House on the Prairie. Charlotte's Web and Madaline. Bridge to Terabithia and Where the Wild Things Are.

These books played such an important role in my childhood. In my love of reading and of writing. They are iconic.

But.

That's not to say I don't like a good gimick book every now and then. Okay, let's be honest, I'm a sucker for novelty childrens' books.....

A colorful lift the flap book? Captivating.

An appealing "touch and feel"? Fascinating.

A clever pop-up? You had me at hello.

Yes, I'm a childrens book marketer's dream. I get sucked in by bright colors and pretty pictures. And most of all a few extra "special effects". So, of course when I came across today's featured book I had to get it....

Welcome Little One
by Sandra Magsamen
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51H83lHfn4L._SL500_AA300_.jpg


Okay, so the illustrations in this book are not typically my style (mom's triangle face screams "creeper" to me), but I really do love this book. First of all, I just think the very title of it is precious.

And, as I alluded to above, this book is perfect for the pop-up enthusiast. It includes the following "special elements" and more:
- touch-and-feels
- pull-tabs
- lift-the-flaps
- pop-ups
- a musical sound chip

It has a sweet sing-song rhyme scheme that is easy to read and features pictures of all different kinds of babies- baby elephants, chicks, and giraffes to name a few.

In the next few weeks, I'm going to feature a few age appropriate "classics" that AP and I have been reading, but I just had to share this precious, fun filled book first!

On the day you were born, it was love at first sight.
I welcomed you, little one, and held you so tight.
My heart simply grew bigger in size
the first time I looked into your sweet eyes.
Hope and happiness danced in the air.
Joy filled my heart and spread everywhere.
I made a promise to you on that very day.
This my precious child, is what I had to say...
[I will always love you!]
I'll cherish the things that are uniquely you-
Your talents, your hopes, and your wishes, too.
I'll rock you to sleep as I sing you a song.
I'll read you stories as you follow along.
I'll show you the beauty of the stars in the sky.
My love will be with you as the years go by.
I'll teach you to see life from different points of view.
And I'll be there to help make your dreams come true.
The world became a more wonderful place
The moment I saw your beautiful face...
Welcome, Little One!

4 comments:

Christy said...

We have a similar book with the same creepy mom, but it is also very sweet :)

I LOVE Little House on the Prairie. Laura Grace is reading through them now and I am beside myself with joy because she loves them.

Did you know they have Little House children's books now? It is for a younger little girl but they are still wonderful.

Ashley said...

1. You're welcome for the button; the word exchange was a total accident! haha!

2. I just heard the song "Catch the Wind" on your blog and figured out the TITLE OF YOUR BLOG! How have we never talked about this?

2 little Boys said...

I found you through Happily Ever Afters of the Lancasters, and her post on your Won't you Read To ME? days. I am a NUT for children's books, like you, there are a lot of children's books markets that make a LOT of money off of me. In fact I blog regularly on the books in our boys LIBRARY and did a whole session in December on 26 Children's Chirstmas books in 25 days. So I can't wait to do my first post connecting to your special WYRTM Wednesday's next week. Here is a connection to the posts I have done on children's books.
http://lauras2littleboys.blogspot.com/search/label/Children%27s%20Books
Daily laying it at the Master's feet!
Laura Ann

Tiffany said...

This is so cute! I will have to look for it for our play group. Little House is one of my favs too. I actually have Little House in the Big Woods on hold at the library. I've been reading chapter books to the babies at night. We've done Henry and Ribsy by Beverly Cleary, and Little Women. They love watching thr t.v. series so I thought I'd start reading that one to them next. I was thinking maybe you should set up a Mr. Linky so we can visit everyone who's participating each week. I don't know how to do one, but, it's a thought if you know how. ~Blessings!