Monday, February 8, 2010

By the God's Grace, I Am What I Am

Since we didn't go to church yesterday, I watched Galloway on TV. I always DVR it-just in case. I really liked the sermon. The pastor talked about how we should find our identity in God's grace and not other things. I have been thinking lately about the things I let define me, so I felt like it was very timely.

He read 1 Corinthians 15:10, which says "But by the grace of God, I am what I am...."

He talked about how when you die, it really doesn't matter how long the space in between the years is but "who you were in the hyphen".

Anyway, I thought some more about the things I sometimes try to find my identity in.

Sometimes, I look for my identity in what I do. I know a lot of people search for their identity in their work. Many times I think I define myself too much by what I do as a mother.

Sometimes, I search for my identity in the things I have. I am very guilty of getting to wrapped up in the clothes I and (especially) Ann Peyton wear. I like to buy new things for our home and sometimes I let those things define me too much.

Sometimes, I look for my identity in what I am not. I am not teaching school full time. I am not my ideal weight. I am not a very good cook. I am not going to keep my mouth shut about things that are important to me.

I need to find my identity not in what I do, or what I have, or what I am not, but in what I AM- a child of god. By the grace of God, I am what I am.

2 comments:

The Niemeyer Nest said...

Very timely post for me! I like it. Just out of curiosity - do your parents or inlaws read your blog. Sometimes there are things I'd like to document but am not sure that I want my inlaws to know.

Katie said...

Amen girlfriend! I needed to read that today.