Monday, February 15, 2010

Valentine's Day Traditions

Around Christmas, I made a list of Christmas traditions I'd like to start for our family. Well, after I saw that Sarah and Todd have a special "love day" for their girls around Valentine's day I decided I wanted to list some Valentine's traditions I'd like to start. [I know Valentine's is over; I meant to post yesterday and I just didn't get to it!]

Sidenote: I wrote all this assuming more children. Because I want more. So, I'm including them in my future plans.

- Go out to breakfast as a family. I love going out to eat for breakfast and I think this would be a great occasion for it!

- Read the "love chapter" from the Bible (I Corinthians 13).

- Go around the table and let each person say something they specifically like about each family member (for example: we go around the table and each say something sweet about Ann Peyton). I think when the children get older I will have them write notes to everyone and put it in bags on the hearth.

- Sometime during February, pick a place where people may not feel loved (like a soup kitchen) and go serve.

- Bake Valentine's cookies together.

- Get the children a little happy- my mom always got us something; it was never anything big, just a little "I love you" present.


That's all I have so far. I'd love to hear any additional ideas!

2 comments:

Ashley said...

These are all things I want to do! We think alike!

Amy said...

I have been reading your blog for a while...I really enjoy it! You are a great writer and I love hearing your thoughts on things! We always had special valentine traditions when I was growing up and I can't wait to start some with my family! One thing I loved was that my dad ALWAYS sent us girls flowers on Valentines day (needless to say, I didn't loooove it when I was 23 and had my first teaching job and had to tell everyone they were from my dad, not my boyfriend - ha!) BUT, it was always a little something that daddy did to show us girls (me, my mom, and my sister) that he was thinking of us on Valentines day. My husband would like to do this for our little one (and any future girls) that we may have. After all, a daddy is the daughter's first and greatest impression of how a man should treat a lady! Thanks for sharing your sweet ideas for future love days!