Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Won't You Read to Me? Wednesday



Well, I'm still on my "classic baby books" kick. I might just make a month out of it and do it for the rest of February. Since I did The Runaway Bunny last week, I figured I'd go ahead and featured the other, even more well known classic by Margaret Wise Brown.....


Goodnight Moon
by Margaret Wise Brown
illustrated by Clement Hurd
http://iamthebeholder.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/goodnight-moon.jpg


It is just as precious, although not quite as sentimental, as The Runaway Bunny. It is just a simple bedtime story loved by many over the years. In it a little boy (actually, another rabbit) tells the things in his room "goodnight". The repetition of the language and the pictures is very soothing.

I love this book, mainly, I think because it is another classic from my childhood. My mom, like probably millions of mothers from several generations, read it to me and my sister at bedtime. To me, it is THE perfect bedtime story.

It also successfully manages to avoid the parenting controversy of the Runaway Bunny (several Amazon reviews felt the mother bunny was an overprotective nag who was stifling her baby boy...behavior that is "never acceptable" according to one reader). However, I like to be fair (which is why I mentioned the Bunny controversy), so I will say that some people found this book to be boring to themselves and their children. I think that that is nothing more than a wonderful commentary on our hyperactive, "must have something big and bold and electronic to hold my attention", age. That is all.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Even if you are doing something totally different in your post for the day (if you're doing one), I'd love to hear comments on your favorite classic children's books....especially picture books, since that is mostly what we are doing around here, no.

Okay, and I got the Mr. Linky. We'll see how it works!


2 comments:

Christy said...

Goodnight Moon is Layton's favorite book. He wants me to read it over and over and over. Love it!

I love classic books because I think they focus on what is really important-love.

2 little Boys said...

Sarah thanks so much for stopping by my blog 2 little Boys, I love meeting new people through the blog world especially other mom's. I have to sadly admit I have not read Goodnight Moon, and didn't get around to my post today, but will try to make time tomorrow to get it posted. The boys were both home sick today, plus I had to prepare dinner for our church Wednesday night supper, so I was busier then a 1 legged man at a hiney kicking contest, Ha.

Blessings to you and yours.

Laura Ann