Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Contentment

Recently, HBO has been airing an add for a new miniseries titled The Pacific. It's going to concern the Pacific Theatre in WWII. It reminded me of the last similar series HBO did of this magnitude, and it got me excited about seeing the series again. So I called my brother, Andrew, who owns the previous series (Band of Brothers) and asked to borrow it. The last time I recall watching it was in the upstairs room of a friend's house in college. He was a WWII and history buff, so it was always an adventure watching it with him. This time as I've watched it, I've had a different perspective on the themes of the series.

The series follows 'Easy' company, an airborne group that parachutes into the area near Normandy, France on D-day. It begins in the company's training in the US and follows them to the end of the war. Of course, I've seen it before, so I had an idea of what to expect from it this time around. Thinking about my previous experience with the series, I remember reflecting on the courage and leadership each of the men showed throughout. Their unselfishness as they helped one another make it through the war. And, of course, the glory with which they were portrayed was inspiring to me.

Before each episode there are interviews with the men from Easy company where they reflect back upon their experiences and add a touch of reality to the series. So, you may be wondering why I'm posting on SD's blog about this. Well, you see, the touch of reality hit me in an unexpected way. During the second or third episode a ranking officer comes across a private who is obviously frozen from the surrounding gunfire and unable to function. The officer tells him that once he accepts that he is already dead, he'll be able to function. Now I don't mean to make this out to be the attitude of all or even the majority of soldiers during WWII, but this got me to thinking. When was the last time I was worried about something? What was it?

It was something selfish about how I didn't have enough resources for my dreams or something foolish of this magnitude. When do I worry about dying? Is it a daily thing? Nope, I figure I'll be unlucky if I go in 10 years from a heart attack or cancer. How crazy is this? There are child soldiers today in Congo who don't know if they'll make it to see tomorrow. They have no family, just their fellow soldiers. They have no dreams, just a need to live.

One more scene I will leave you with is this. During the second episode (I think) a soldier says that after this is over he wants to find a peaceful plot of land to take refuge in after the war. I wonder how many of those who made it through WWII kept this feeling of wanting to see tomorrow? I wonder how many kept their dream of retiring to a peaceful lake in a simple fashion? How many got sucked back into our world of wanting more...now? I wonder if I could keep a perspective like that If I had to go through the war?

I hope I can gain that perspective now, through the wisdom of others who've had to endure it.

Also, here is a preview of the new series: The Pacific.
WARNING: some graphic images are contained herein, do not watch if this will bother you.

1 comment:

Christy said...

Clay wants to watch that show :)

Sarah-the cover up and nautical dress are from Old Navy :) They are on sale this week AND available in petite!