Monday, April 5, 2010

Five Hundred Twenty-five Thousand Six Hundred Minutes....How Do You Measure a Year in the Life?


Measure in LOVE!!!

Yes, this is another "birthday" post. And yes, if you're familar with musical theater, you probably know that the titular lyrics were taken from a play about HIV, homosexuals, IV drug users, and cross dressing. Not exactly the most appropriate song to associate with Annie turning one. HOWEVER, I have loved this song for a long time and recently I was thinking of how it had such a special meaning now. I know I've been sharing a lot of my favorite songs and pictures lately on the blog. Well, I still haven't finished my "journey" though AP's life, but I had to take a break and share a different song.

I just could not think of a better way to measure this past year in our lives than to measure it in LOVE. If I did choose to measure the year in love, I would have to say "My cup runneth over". I cannot imagine a year filled with more love than this one has been and yet, most of the time, each day tops the one before it.

I have been thinking back to this time last year. Those first few weeks....

I remember a year ago yesterday, bringing Ann Peyton home from the hospital. Telling her, tearily, that this was her new home and that she would love it.

Putting her to sleep in the bassinet in our own house for the first time.

I remember how she was so tiny, we had to get her preemie clothes.

I think about the first time both Peyton and I left her- to go to church on Easter Sunday. We asked my mom to keep her. My Dad and Cookie also ended up coming. They were all already infatuated with her.

Her first well-baby visit with Dr. Denney, where he told us multiple times that he would treat her like his own child.

I think about my first Mother's Day. Even though Peyton later apologized for not making more of a fuss over it, that day it seemed like the most important holiday ever and I was totally content.

I remember how much Peyton loved snuggling with her. He had thought he wouldn't really enjoy her until she was big enough to "play". Now that she plays with him, although he *loves* it, I think he sometimes misses her newborn snuggliness.

I am so glad I have a record of this wonderful year, this blog. I didn't write very much during my pregnancy, but once Annie came I became more diligent. Now, hardly a week goes by that I have less than five posts. And if I never got another comment and lost every single follower I have, I think I'd be just as dedicated.

Sure there are other things I blog about; I'm a multi-faceted person. But, a huge chunk of this blog is devoted to Ann Peyton. To mine and Peyton's experiences with her and our relationship with her and to exploring my thoughts and feelings on these amazing experiences and this beautiful relationship. And, I'm so glad I have that.

There are few things more precious than our memories. And being able to measure a year in love.



Five hundred twenty-five thousand
Six hundred minutes,
Five hundred twenty-five thousand
Moments so dear

Five hundred twenty-five thousand
Six hundred minutes
How do you measure, measure a year?

In daylights, in sunsets, in midnights
In cups of coffee
In inches, in miles, in laughter, in strife

In five hundred twenty-five thousand
Six hundred minutes
How do you measure a year in the life?

How about love? How about love?
How about love? Measure in love

Seasons of love
Seasons of love

Five hundred twenty-five thousand
Six hundred minutes
Five hundred twenty-five thousand
Journeys to plan

Five hundred twenty-five thousand
Six hundred minutes
How do you measure the life
Of a woman or a man?

In truths that she learned
Or in times that he cried
In bridges he burned
Or the way that she died

It's time now to sing out
Tho' the story never ends
Let's celebrate
Remember a year in the life of friends

Remember the love
(Oh you got to, got to)
Remember the love
(Remember the love)
Seasons of love
(Measure measure you life in love)
Seasons of love
Seasons of love


3 comments:

Ashley said...

I sang this my senior year in high school. It's one of my very favorites!

The Niemeyer Nest said...

Sweet! Such a beautiful baby. Carl felt the same way - that Evie would be more fun once she was older. HA! He loved her just the way she was as a newborn. Although, it's pretty fun now! I will never forget the day we brought Evie home from the hospital. Such a special day!

Rachel said...

This is one of my favorite songs - I absolutely LOVE the Rent soundtrack. Happy, Happy Birthday to sweet Ann Peyton! I know you will treasure this digital diary forever!