Sunday, March 28, 2010

Show Us Your Life- Cleaning Tips

Photobucket

Well, I know I'm super late on this, but I had it half written on Thursday and then got in a mad panic rush to get packed for Cursillo. Anyway, I decided to go ahead and finish it and put it up anyway.

I decided I share my laundry tips this week, since I missed Leslie's Tips Tuesdays about laundry and since it is the only cleaning that I truly excel at. Laundry is my favorite chore and folding clothes actually relaxes me.

First, here are my favorite products:

http://www.freegrabber.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/08/biz.gif

and

http://paragonsupply.biz/catalog/catalog_images/DRK94925.JPG
Peyton will tell you that he has never seen anyone like me when it comes to stain removal. Biz and Shout are my go-to stain removers. I like the liquid Biz. I also love these two nifty things:
http://freesamplefreak.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/tide.jpg
http://www.washing-machine-wizard.com/images/clorox-bleach-pen-25603.jpg

Of course, the Clorox pen can only be used on whites. Occasionally, I also use a Laundry Stick or some Grandma's Secret Spot Remover (you can buy it at Hobby Lobby).

Probably the best thing I can recomend, though, is Sodium Perborate. This stuff works on even the most delicate things (I've used it on AP's fifty year old baby dresses that belonged to my mom when she was a baby). It is so gentle, yet I can count on one hand the stains that it has not compleatly removed (and it did definitly help those). It's amazing!
http://www.sultanhealthcare.com/sw/swchannel/images/users/14868/SodiumPerboB_L.jpg

When AP was spitting up two or three times a day, I would soak all her clothes that she outgrew in this stuff before I sent them to the attic (just to make sure I didn't miss any stains, becuase the heat in the attic "sets" them).
(I have a frontloader now, so I can't "soak" things in it. Bummer. Because now that I have an almost toddler, I'm scared to have water sitting around like that).


Okay, I really don't have that many great tips, but here's what I got:
- I know some people suggest saving your laundry all for one day and some people suggest doing a load a day, every day. I fall somewhere in between; every few days I do a couple of loads.
- I have no idea why we have so much laundry, but between the three of us I do at least ten loads a week (including diapers).
- I do wash everything that I buy new alone for the first time. I've had several dresses (from Marshalls and Charlotte Russe) bleed and it's just not worth it to me to ruin a whole load again.
- Except for our sheets, towels, socks, underwear, and obviously AP's reusable diapers, I wash everything on COLD. Not warm or warm/cold, COLD. It is better for your clothes, it keeps them from bleeding/fading/ect. and it is SO much better environmentally/economically becuase something like 90% of the energy used in washing clothes is used to heat the water.
- Finally, here is the best way to fold a t-shirt....Japenese t-shirt folding:

No comments: