Sunday, March 7, 2010

Weekly Happenings Post #51 (March 1-7)-- Lazy Bones


***Okay, this is another SUPER long edition of Weekly Happenings. I just couldn't cut out any of the fascinating details!

A few things first:
-- So, I've been compared myself to others, lately. I know, I know, not a healthy habit, but I've been doing it nonetheless. Here is the thing. I'm beginning to think I am a bit lazy (my Dad refers to this type laziness as someone having "lard in their ass", ha!).

I never thought I was lazy before; I've always had a strong work ethic and really pushed myself. In high school I'd get up early to exercise, go to school, do several hours of homework and usually have either play practice or cheerleading practice and sometimes both. College was much the same way. These days I'm just not sure where my time goes and how things always fail to get done. I know, it's the baby, right?

But then I read about people who get a ton more done around their house than I do in addition to their thirty five hour a week job. Or people who go running in the early hours of the A.M. after waking up several times a night to breastfeed. Or my pregnant friend who is a DIY diva and accomplishes more from sun up to sun down than I did in Annie's entire thirty nine week gestation.

Of course, it's all relative. Because Nada Suleman, a.k.a. the Octomom, manages to take care of her gazillion children, write a book, get in shape, and pose for Sports Illustrated (or whatever) in her bikini ONLY because she is able to function on approximately two hours of sleep a night. Or so she told Barbara, et al, on The View last week. So, compared to her these mommy blogger friends of mine actually have lard in their "trunks" (I try to keep a one profanity a week maximum on my blog). Sooooo....that makes me feel better?

-- Well, I actually did feel a tiny bit better when I saw that one of those people sent her hubbykins to the laundry mat with fourteen(!) baskets of accumulated clothes. Actually I felt pretty smug, because I am the queen of laundry. I desperately wanted to do Leslie's Tips Tuesdays that was on laundry this week, but I just couldn't find the time on Tuesday. It was interesting to read that she only does two loads of wash a week (sometimes four) and does them back to back. This is in direct contrast to FlyLady, who recommends doing a load a day to stay on top of things. Who knew there were so many varying laundry theories and strategies? I'm going to count my loads next week, but I know for a fact it's more than two or even four. I'll report back.....because I know you're going to be on pins and needles waiting for the results. I may even just have to do a whole post about laundry since I missed it- I have at least one really good tip that I'm dying to share.

Anyway, here's what I DID do this week.

On Monday, I got up and did some errands while Peyton watched AP. I went to the bank, to Hobby Lobby to find some stuff to get to work on a first birthday party (I got some great decorations since Easter stuff is 40% off (so glad I waited!) and she is having a "bunny" party) and to Pier 1 to try to find some super cute napkins like the ones my mom scored on sale the week before. I also went to Kroger and.....another consignment sale! My SIL told me about this one. I actually ended up spending less than at the one last week (these things all come at the same time- meaning it's ALMOST SPRING!). Anyway, I'm going to do a combined "consignment post" soon, but my mom is doing a little work to two of the outfits, so I'm going to wait so I can take pictures of everything. Monday afternoon I didn't do a whole lot except for be really tired. I'm not going to bemoan my Lenten sacrifice, because clearly Jesus gave up SO much more for me, but the last time I was this tired I was pregnant. I think giving up one Coke has been really good for me, because it is showing me how dependent I really was on it. Anyway, I did laundry but that was about it.

Tuesday we had Mother's Morning Out. I took a nap afterwards, but then I actually got a few things done. I had been trying to figure out how to get pictures OFF the computer and ON to a memory card and I finally got it working. I also started working on a little craft- a bulletin board for the laundry room (yes, I like my laundry room bright and sunny!). I also cooked fish for dinner.

On Wednesday, Annie and I went to lunch at Newks with Carrie and Aubrey (Ashley and Evs were in Cape for the week). I also went to the bank (again), Hobby Lobby (again) for some Easter "grass" and paint and then to Target to get some party favors (I know it's still a month away, but this month is SUPER busy for us so I'm trying to stay on top of things). I came home and while AP took a nap I straightened around the house and did some reading in the book we are going through in Bible Study. Then we went to Bible Study. This week it was at my friend Morgan's house and she told me to just bring Ann Peyton since Peyton was working. So I did!

Look how big she is! She's in a 12 mo. outfit I got at a consignment sale last fall-- I thought it looked SO big then!


Thursday
was pretty uneventful. We had MMO, of course and I took a nap AND went to bed early. I don't remember much else.

Friday kind of made up for it, though. I was actually productive! Peyton worked a double. He drove to Laurel early Friday morning to fill in. He got up really early (like left the house at 5:00 am) so he could stop by Granny's and PopPop's on the way down. Then he worked the evening shift at his store. I know he was EXHAUSTED!

Anyway, I kept myself busy. I worked on organizing all the stuff from the consignment sales in Annie's room while she played and we listened to music. When it was time for her bottle I scooped her up (even though she gives it to herself now) and rocked her and we listed to Bruce Springsteen's really beautiful rendition of "When the Saints Go Marching In" on her little cd player.



Our "mini fridge" that we use for drinks and ice cream and stuff recently broke and Peyton cleaned it out to take it to get fixed. Well, he left all the stuff from it out on the counter and it kind of leaked water in the sunroom on the way out (not that I'm upset; I thought it was sweet he cleaned it out himself!). So, I mopped up the muddy floor in the sunroom, cleaned the gross area in the laundry room where the fridge had lived, and threw away/put up the stuff from the fridge during Annie's nap. I also went through some coupons and decorated for Easter!

Of course, we went to my parents' house for Beans and Rice on Friday night, but only after stopping by Peyton's store for a visit. When we got home around ten I was still kind of wired.

All that sleep from Thursday totally messed me up and I was WIDE awake at 1:30 in the A.M., eating Thin Mints and reading blogs. Well, a post pops up in the "People I Know" folder in my Google Reader and I'm pretty sure I know who wrote it, since it's 1:30 in the morning. My suspicions were confirmed, so I texted Ashley and we chated a bit. I'm fairly confident our friendship with survive her move if for no other reason than that I'm pretty sure we are the only sober people awake in our time zones on many a night.

Saturday morning I got up and took a bath before AP woke up. I fed her breakfast and then unloaded and loaded the dishwasher. I cleaned the kitchen sink, the stove, AP's high chair, and that gross junk that gets between the wall and the counter. During her morning nap I straightened the house and folded a couple of loads of laundry. Then I looked through my coupons and made a grocery list. When AP woke up we got some drive thru at Chick Fil A and went to the grocery store and (you guessed it) Hobby Lobby. My coupon efforts paid off and I saved $40 out of about $110 on groceries (so about a third of my total bill). I was excited since I haven't even signed up for the Grocery Game or done much research yet.

I thought I'd share a picture, since that what's Money Saving Mom and all the cool couponers do. But don't worry, I don't think this will be a weekly thing. I just think "Babykin Boutique" type saving posts are entirely more fascinating!


Also, the receipt was definitely "fridge worthy". My friend, Wesley, told me that her mom posts really good receipts on her refrigerator and I thought what a great idea! Notice the exclamation point magnet and that I changed my mood-o-meter to celebrate. Fail to notice that my menu plan calender says "July". Baby steps, people. First learn how to properly grocery shop then tackle the menu plan!

Saturday night we went out to dinner at Mellow Mushroom with Carrie and her husband, David and NO BABIES (well, except for little baby Howie, of course). We had so much fun! I was a tiny bit worried that Peyton and David wouldn't have anything to talk about and would have to resort to conversing about their common love of chess....talk about taking the slow train to Yawnville. But we had some great, incredibly entertaining conversations! We picked up Annie from my parents after running to Target and she was pretty exhausted.

Today (Sunday) was really fun. It was my Sunday to volunteer in the nursery, but they only had three babies so I went on to early church and met Peyton. He had to go to work right after, but I stayed for Sunday School. We had a small showing in class today, ha! Then I got Annie and we went to The Pointe (which is our church's church plant) to hear my good friend, Morgan, preach. She did an amazing job....watch out, Beth Moore! I was worried AP wouldn't do great because she feel asleep in the car on the way from First Methodist to The Pointe (literally like two blocks). But she did fine- I had a bottle, and her Baby Mum-Mums and she did just beautifully (they have a nursery, but I am that mom that just isn't going to leave her unless I know the nursery workers).

When we got home, AP crashed and I did a little, too. I'm not going to be hard on myself about today, since I worked really hard on Friday and Saturday. Anyway, I just watched T.V. and did a little laundry. Peyton ended up meeting a friend after work so Ann Peyton and I watched the Oscars (still haven't finished- it's dvr'd, but so far, I'm much happier than last year) and ate Mellow Mushroom leftovers (at least as good, maybe better, round two!). My sink is FULL of dishes and I still need to put up some of yesterday's groceries (I left them out for Peyton to see and then today I was just lazy).

And, I think I'm about to watch some more of the Oscars and go to bed.

Oh, yeah. We figured out why Ann Peyton is always making the ugly face in the Weekly Family Pictures these days. The little red light REALLY bothers her.


So, as I mentioned this next month is going to be ca-razy. Next week I'm subbing one day, the ever exciting Overstock Sale is coming up and Peyton is going to start moving the furniture so we can get ready for our hardwood floors! That means I am going to be packing up a ton of China from our china cabinet and buffet and a bunch of other stuff from off the massive bookshelves in the den. I'm also going to try to "inventory" it for insurance purposes. Then next weekend we are going back to New Orleans with our good friends Patrick and Haley (and our babykins-- I can't think of a better way for Hank and Annie to begin the process of biblical courtship than by sleeping in adjacent Pack N Plays). The next week is Spring Break and that's when the floors come. We have that week off from MMO and I'm hoping to get my hair highlighted (that's about all I'm going to try to accomplish besides birthday prep and dealing with the floors). The next week is pretty open, but that weekend we are going to Cursillo (Thursday through Sunday). The following week is Annie's actual birthday and Easter weekend. And the next weekend will be her party! Whew!!!

1 comment:

Carrie said...

Sarah Denley! I can't believe you grouped me in the category with super productive people! My husband would laugh you out of town if he read that :) (Just kidding -- hopefully.) Really, I think laziness is something I struggle with daily. When I say "I did things around the house" sometimes all that means is that I made up my bed and threw Aubrey's toys into her toy basket. No supermom here!

You have to tell me your tips on couponing. I tried to get into it a while back, but I was too LAZY and gave up ;)