Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Won't You Read to Me? Wednesday



Well, since it is getting close to Easter (and Annie's bunny party) I thought I'd share some of my favorite bunny books in the next couple of weeks.

If anyone has any recommendations of good books about the *true* meaning of Easter that would be toddler appropriate, I'd LOVE to hear them! Unfortunately, I haven't found any (I haven't really looked too hard, yet, either, though!).

I've shared a bit about this book before in a post not related to Read to Me Wednesday, but I just had to revisit it because it's one of my favorites.....

The Country Bunny and the Little Gold Shoes
by DuBose Heyward
illustrated by Marjorie Hack
http://casacamisas.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/country-bunny-and-the-little-gold-shoes.jpg

In the story, one of the Easter Bunnies (yes, there are multiple ones) gets too old and has to retire. Little Mother Cottontail (also known as "The Country Bunny"- the book's title character), who has been occupying herself up to this point by being a stay at home mom to twenty one little cotton tails , decides to "audition" and finds herself among the great big jack rabbits.

http://www.2cleverblog.com/.a/6a00e5539a8198883401156f09c948970c-320pi
[Mother Cottontail was a charter member of the Quiverfull Movement, long before anyone knew the name Michelle Duggar.]

She gets chosen to be an Easter Bunny and is given her mission.

The Country Bunny doesn't worry about leaving her home, because she was one smart momma and watched her children carefully, and then capitalized on each of their natural talents (one neat little bunny made all the beds, two were the cooks, one painted beautiful pictures, another sang to keep her siblings entertained, and so on). So, when she was gone for a day over Easter, the house ran just as smoothly as if she were there.
http://littleacorn.typepad.com/little_acorn/images/2008/03/14/countrybunny3.jpg

While she is working, she has a little accident and injures herself. It appears she will be unable to continue on, but she has a very important egg for a sick little boy that must arrive before Easter.
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1122/3424945429_7ca107242e.jpg?v=0

Fortunately, the kind Grandfather Bunny appears with a pair of Gold Shoes that enable her to fly to her destination and she places the egg next to the sleeping boy and makes it home with twenty one Easter baskets for her own little bunnies.

I love this book for SO many reasons. It was actually written as a feminist tale in 1939, showing that Little Mother Cottontail could be just as good of an Easter bunny as the big strong Jack Rabbits. I think it is really neat, because unlike SOME modern day feminists, the story does not degrade her ultimate calling as a mother to her little cottontails. In fact, she was only able to perform such an honored task because she had done such an exemplary job of teaching her children responsibility and because she had put in the hard, oft-unnoticed hours of being a faithful mother and homemaker. It is a beautiful picture of priorities, in my opinion.

I also love many of the other lessons it teaches. I love how endearing Mother Cottontail is and all her outstanding character traits- she is not only "wise, kind, and swift", according to Grandfather Bunny, she is also "the bravest of all the bunnies".

I wrote about this in the other post I wrote about this book, but I think it is so important to give children age-appropriate responsibilities. I don't want to be the mom that is always doing my children's homework for them or doing chores that they should be doing themselves. I want them to know that the tasks they do are important to help keep things running smoothly.

I also don't want to push them into doing something (like cheerleading or theater) because it was important to me. I want to encourage Ann Peyton (and our other children) to pursue the things that interest them and that God gave them a natural gift for.

The illustrations in this beautiful book are just the icing on the cake. The colors are "Eastery", but not in the traditional pale, pastel sense. They are actually as vivid as Technicolor, as one Amazon reviewer said.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_bdVR-JIDi2g/SeKX1saeQuI/AAAAAAAANKI/PV8SxOpy7bw/s400/five-easter-bunnies.jpg

Overall, this is honestly one of my all-time favorite books. I've you've never read it, I highly encourage it! And, I look forward to any Easter recommendations you all have!

4 comments:

Ashley said...

Mother Cottontail + Quiverfull Movement = Funniest thing you've ever said

The Niemeyer Nest said...

Love how you referred to the bunny as a SAHM! So cute.

Tiffany said...

I just added my link to my post of picks today. They are all about the Lent and Easter season. The one I would recomend for toddlers is Easter Easter Almost Here. If you click on my friend Jana's page -Mustard Seeds is her blog, she has an Amazon store you can buy it from. I'm working on an update post on Lent for little ones for tomorrow.

Tiffany said...

I just added my link to my post of picks today. They are all about the Lent and Easter season. The one I would recomend for toddlers is Easter Easter Almost Here. If you click on my friend Jana's page -Mustard Seeds is her blog, she has an Amazon store you can buy it from. I'm working on an update post on Lent for little ones for tomorrow.