Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Won't You Read to Me? Wednesday



This week, I thought I'd share some books that Annie got in her Easter basket. In addition to a few other small things, Ann Peyton got three books from the Easter Bunny (my mom- who insisted on getting her stuff, in addition to our Easter Bunny stuff). I think I must have done a good job at Christmas of conveying how important building her library is to me! Anyway, all three books are just the kind of thing I like....classic, old fashioned, and aesthetically pleasing. I'm sure each one will become a treasured part of her collection....

A Child's Garden of Verses
by Robert Louis Stevenson
compiled by Cooper Edens
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/517715JZZ1L.jpg
This one is Peyton's favorite. It is a board book edition and contains eight of Stevenson's best loved poems. The antique illustrations are copies of various works by different late 19th and early 20th century children's book artists. I'm not exaggerating when I say they are some of the most beautiful pictures I've ever seen. I love them. OF COURSE, the poems are beautiful, too, and so perfect for any imaginative young child.

Peter Rabbit and Friends: A Pop-Up Book
by Beatrix Potter
http://www.penguin.com.au/covers-jpg/9780723258889.jpg
Y'all have heard me talk about how much I love pop-up books and I just adore Peter Rabbit and really all things Beatrix Potter, so, of course, I was super excited about this one! It is just a short little narration about Peter and his friends, but it's definitely as cute as it sounds!

Give Us This Day: The Lord's Prayer
Illustrated by Tasha Tudor
http://www.lutterworth.com/lp/images/giveus.gif
This last one is very special. I have a whole post about some of our "routines" that I have been meaning to write, but one of them is that (most) every night before bed I (and Peyton, if he's home) say the Lord's Prayer with Ann Peyton. [We also pray more specific, personal prayers over her/with her.] Even though I say that I wish there had been a bigger focus on having a personal faith in my childhood, my Mom did A LOT of things right and one thing she did with me was taught me the Lord's Prayer when I was very, very small (like two years old....by three, I could say it unassisted). Also, we had several beautiful books illustrated by Tasha Tudor, so this book is really special for a bunch of reasons! The pictures are so pretty and each one does a great job of conveying the words....I think it will be a great tool when we start trying to explain what the prayer means, phrase by phrase.

This is not really a "Read to Me", but my Mom also got ME a book this Easter:
Mother's Treasury
Illustrated by Becky Kelly
http://beckykelly.com/shop/images/book_motherstreasury.jpg
It's a collection of poems, recipes, and quotes that speak to the importance of motherhood. I haven't read it all yet, but it's so beautiful and SO special!

1 comment:

The Niemeyer Nest said...

Evie got that Peter Rabbit and Friends book too. It's beautiful but Evie loves to tear popup books apart.