Friday, May 7, 2010

Show Us Your Life- Children's Names


If there is one thing I love more than double names, it is family names. Our little girl, Ann Peyton, has both. She is named "Ann" for my Mom and my sister (Sarah Ann and Ann Whitten, respectively) and "Peyton" for my husband, whose first name is Peyton. I picked out the name about five years ago, when Peyton and I were still just dating seriously.

Although I am very committed to making sure she goes by her double name (I hate it when people call me just "Sarah" and her just "Ann"-- of course I take it in stride, though), we do call her "AP" or "Annie" quite often. I am actually very fond of calling her Annie.

I was reading something recently about Baby Name Regret. I had several thoughts after I read the article. My first thought was that I couldn't imagine such a thing. I LOVE Ann Peyton's name. In fact, I am probably a little too far on the opposite side of the thing. I have always loved Ann Peyton's double name, but I'm surprised at how much I just adore the name Annie. I don't know why it makes me gush so. I've always liked the name Annie, but I associated it first with skinny little red headed girls/women (actress Annie Potts, Ragedy Ann(ie), Little Orphan, ect.) and then when I was pregnant, with the good girl gone rebel on one of my favorite tv shows. I didn't know until I saw her, how well it would fit our Annie. Anyway, I analyze things a lot and baby names are one of those things. I have a friend whose child has a pretty unique name that I just love and I often think about what a cute name it is. Obviously, I do the same with my own child. Is that weird???

The second this I thought about was about my adorable friend who just announced the name of her baby boy. It's honestly one of the cutest boy names that I've ever heard.

Which led to me thinking about what we'd name our next baby (whenever the time comes). Which inevitablay led me back to the one sentence mention of secondary infertillity in the article, which basically led to a mild panic attack. But....back to the point. Future children....

If we have a boy I'm pretty sure we'll name him Jackson, which is my Mom's maiden name, and call him Jack. Not sure about a middle name.

A girl is more complicated, since I've already used the daydream/doodle name that I had been fantasizing about for years. I think I'd like a "Sarah something". My great great grandmother, my grandmother, my mom, and I are all Sarahs. Here are a few that we've considered:

- Sarah Mayfield (Mayfield was my grandmother's maiden name); and she'd go by Sarah May
- Sarah Beatrice (I just love the name Beatrice; I like "old fashioned" names); she'd go by Sarah Bea
- Sarah Charlotte (another old fashioned name that I just like); she'd go by Sarah Charlotte
- Sarah Graves (Peyton's grandmother's maiden name is Graves); she'd go by Sarah Graves

Another name that I love is Vada. It was my great grandmother's name and I think it is so pretty and unique. It just won't work as a double name, though, I don't think. We'll see...

One thing I love about Ann Peyton's name, as I mentioned above, is that it has a cute diminutive- one that I love as much as her real name. I'd love to follow suite with all our children- give them a nice, pretty name, but make sure it has a fun, "cute" diminutive. Heather posted on her blog once about how she like for her children to have an "adult" name and a "child" name-- she also has an "Annie", whose "adult" name is Annabel. I thought that was an interesting perception. So, if we have a Sarah, we will probably end up calling her "Saddie" or "Sally" some, whichever fits.

Can you see that I have *really* over analyzed all this??

6 comments:

Ashley said...

I like that you're sentimental about baby names...it's sweet! :)

Sarah Broadus said...

I am all about Sarah! =)

Sarah Lee said...

I love thinking about what I'll name my future children! And I love "Jack" for a little boy (obviously)! Our Jack's full name is John Howard which is a family name (we're all about the family names). Next in line will be Alison after my great-grandmother, Alice. Her second name is undecided but maybe Rose, Marie, or Frances (all family names, too). If our next is a boy, he'll be Jeremiah Robbins (after my dad). Like you, we want them all to have cute nicknames and "grown up" names. I've thought about the names after to come after these, too...

Mary Louis Quinn said...

Love all the names! And you know how I feel about family names and double names! :). I really like Sarah Bea and Sarah Graves because they roll off the tongue easily! :)

Carrie said...

Aw, I'm so flattered to have been mentioned! :) (Or linked to...) I love all those double names. Maybe one day I'll get a doulbe name in :)

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

I love family names...Stopping by to say Happy Mother's Day...
Have a few hours to blog hop and nothing makes me happier.
I have a GREAT GIVEAWAY that I will be drawing for on Sunday night.

http://teresa-grammygirlfriend.blogspot.com/