Monday, May 10, 2010

Swing, Oh, Swing


How do you like to go up in a swing,

Up in the air so blue?
Oh, I do think it the pleasantest thing
Ever a child can do!
Up in the air and over the wall,

Till I can see so wide,


River and trees and cattle and all


Over the countryside--


Till I look down on the garden green,


Down on the roof so brown--


Up in the air I go flying again,


Up in the air and down!


AP is a swinger. Some children are and some children aren't. She is. I've decided. I myself was more of a monkey bars girl, and she may prove to be that, too, with age. Right now, she is loving some swinging. Peyton said she is a little dare devil and it is so true. She loves to go just as high as we will push her! She's SO independent and now, seeing what a risk-taker she is scares me a little bit. I'm sure these attributes will all be to her benefit, though.

One memory swinging brought back (besides the beautiful poem* cited above, which I have always loved) was of my grandmother, "Bump". Bump would often sing to us, but she was terrible with song lyrics. I remember her singing The Marines Hymn (an odd lullaby, anyway) once and going...."From the halls of Montezuma, to the shores of Tripoli...da da da da da" and continuing with da da's for the rest of the song. Another one of her favorites was "By, Oh, By". Those were the lyrics. Over and over, she'd just sing "by, oh, by, oh, by, oh, by, oh, by", but it had variations and one of our favorites was "Swing, Oh, Swing". The memory made me so happy, but I felt such an acute sadness that Bump never got to meet Annie. I miss her SO much sometimes. It's hard to believe that she's been gone almost exactly two years. I can't wait to tell Ann Peyton all about her.

She was so much like our little swinger- brave and fiercely independent.


*The Swing by Robert Louis Stevenson

3 comments:

Ashley said...

So sweet! I love that poem...

Ellis said...

Blah, I'm missing so much of Annie's life. Summer is about 48 hours away for me, though. Maybe I can make up for some lost time in the next few months.

I miss you all so much.

Mary Louis Quinn said...

We used to love that poem! I hadn't thought about it in years! Is it in A Garden Book of Verses?