Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Homes of Savannah

As I mentioned in my Weekly Happenings post, Peyton and I had so much fun on our trip driving around and looking at all the pretty (and not so pretty) houses. It was actually one of the most fun things we did.

I also mentioned that several people had told us that Savannah was a lot like Charleston, which after our trip last summer, is one of mine and Peyton's favorite southern cities. Savannah seemed to be a really neat place-- lots and lots of grass in the middle of the city, very bicycle friendly, some neat history, ect., but it wasn't Charleston. Honestly, it was much more touristy than Charleston and just didn't have the same historical feel. Like I said, it also just wasn't as quaint of a city.

One thing that was strange about Savannah is that the houses in the historical district of the city were cared for to very varied extremes. We would see a beautiful house that seemed so loved and taken cared of and right next to it would be a very run down house that was probably gorgeous years ago. That part reminded me of another city that I'm actually got fond of, not gonna call any names but [cough, cough] Jackson. I thought I'd share a little of what I mean....

Our favorite house, by far. Peyton described it as looking like a doll house and he was exactly right. We both just adore this style house and he even asked me if there was a way to get an architect to build a home in this style now! I don't even know what style this is (Victorian?); I think it would be so much fun to learn a little more about period houses since I'm kind of obsessed with history.

Though not as pretty, I thought this one was neat, too. It kind of has a doll house vibe, too, I think.

But then, literally right next door was this kind of thing:
My heart just broke a little looking at it. I know it's stupid to personify a house so, but I felt so sorry for it!

a REBEL house....even I'll admit this is a little redic of a color choice for the exterior of your home!

And then this. Y'all: is that circle thing not the most rando thing you've ever seen IN YOUR LIFE?

Here's a nice one to end on....
If you look closely, you can see the the ceiling of the porch is painted a powder blue. My mom told me that people used to do this to keep wasps from building nests-- they think it's the sky! Peyton and I talked about how fun it would be to paint the ceiling in our carport!


One thing that was very similar to Charleston was our hotel, both were kind of built around a little courtyard area in the center. The one in Charleston was like an atrium and was an outdoor courtyard, but in Savannah the whole thing was indoors.


{Charleston}


{Savannah}

Here are view more pictures of our hotel from this trip. I thought it was really pretty and very economical!!
I can't explain how wonderful this trip was. Even though we didn't do anything all that special (aside from attending a very special ceremony and celebration for two very special friends), it was almost like a second honey moon. I was able to really relax and enjoy my break from doing a job that really never ends. I say that mostly because although AP is a great sleeper and Peyton is so good about helping me with her and I have PLENTY of time to myself, sometimes I feel like my every thought is consumed with her- maybe to an unhealthy extent. I know all mothers (or most) probably feel that way at times and I'm just really thankful that I was able to leave her with people I trust infinitely and just breathe. And also enjoy some time really "connecting" with my best friend and soul mate and not feeling like I should be doing chores, or rushing to the computer, or stressing out over something. It was AMAZING!

4 comments:

Ashley said...

Yay for trips! Kurt and I loved driving around Natchez looking at houses. It's a soothing activity, in my opinion. :)

The Niemeyer Nest said...

Blue ceilings also kept the ladies of leisure cool on those hot summer days. I was a tour guide at the College of Charleston and that was one of my facts. You found some pretty houses.

Sarah Broadus said...

fun! I am counting down the days to our get away!! 3 more weeks, Chicago here we come!

Tiffany said...

This was lovely! Where did y'all stay? I've always wanted to visit both Savannah and Charlston. And the hotel looks very pretty and relaxing. I love finding historical homes too. Hugh and I have always enjoyed it. It really makes for a nice realxing day togrther. :)