Friday, July 2, 2010

Letter to (Fifteen Month Old) Ann Peyton

Dear Ann Peyton,

Today you are fifteen months old. It's really hard for me to grasp that you are that old. I know I say that every month, but it's how I feel, so I'm going to keep telling you that. Every since you turned one in April, I have enjoyed thinking back to what you were doing this time last year.

For example, last July, we were struggling to help you gain weight, because you were such a tiny thing. You were really starting to hold your head up and you were still sleeping a ton during the day.

Fast forward to today. You are still itty bitty. You weight exactly seventeen pounds. That is starting to feel heavy, but you're tiny compared to other babies your age. You wear size three diapers and you are mostly in 12 mo. clothes.

As far as physical milestones, you still refuse to walk without holding onto something or someone. You love to cruise, though, and are pretty fast if you have something to hold on to.

You have three meals a day and have milk four times a day. You still drink formula to help with your weight, but we may switch you to cow's milk soon. You recently found a few new foods that you LOVE. Both happen to be favorites of you papa- squash casserole and hummus.

You have always been THE best sleeper. Lately, you've had a bit of a struggle with naps. I'm not sure what it is, but it takes you such a long time to go down and sometimes you flat refuse a nap. When you do that, Mommy FREAKS OUT and worries that you'll never take another nap again. Ha! Missing naps makes you cranky and irritable, so it's a loose-loose situation. I hate it for me and for you!

You were sick last month and I felt terrible for you, but it was so nice to have you so snuggly. Someone said to me the other day "Do you every just want to wait a little longer before you give them the Tylenol, because they are SO sweet when they're sick!". It's true, you were ultra cuddly and I ate it up.

You have also never really had diaper rashes until recently. But lately, you've had one we can't seem to kick. I hate it for you, because you've gotten to where you do not love having your diaper changed.

We have finally started to see a tiny bit of a toddler attitude from you. The other day when we were visiting Granpa Randy and DeeDee you threw the biggest fit. It was your first true temper tantrum. Pretty impressive you made it to almost fifteen months without throwing one, I think!

You are still very good natured, but you've started to "fuss" more when you don't get your way. You are very sensative and when we (espessially Papa) says the word "NO" you cry and get very upset! You are good at minding, though, and when we tell you "no", you usually quit whatever it is you are doing.

You vocabulary hasn't changed much since last month, you still say the same three or four words ("Mama", "DaDa", "Bye", and "BaBa" for your cup).

When you play Patty Cake, you now "roll it" instead of just clapping the whole time.

You love whistling with whistles and drinking through a straw.

Papa taught you a little trick where you put your hand to your month and pat it and it makes a cute sound. You do it EVERY time you see him. The other day we drove through the pharmacy and you saw him through the window and you did it!

You love to be tickled more than anything! If someone is tickleing you and they stop, you will lift up your arm and point to your armpit to get them to keep doing it!

My favorite "trick", though, is how you say "Momma" almost incessantly. I can't get enough of it. Ever.

You are just adorable, Ann Peyton, and are becoming such a fun little girl. When you do take exceptionally long naps, I find myself missing you sometimes and I'm so ready for "Annie Time" when you wake up. Watching you learn new things is one of the greatest experiences in my life and I am so proud of every little acheivement.

Minnie told me that she and Cookie think that I've become a different person since you were born. And it's true, you make me so much happier than I ever knew I could be. You help me keep perspective and your life has caused me to cultivate such a deeper level of thankfulness. You bring so much more purpose to every thing I do.

Papa and I love you more than words could ever begin to express.

Love,
Momma (and Papa)

P.S. Remember last month, I noted the size of your outfit was a 6-9 mo.? This months oufit is an 18 mo.; it's a little big but not as redic as you might think!

4 comments:

Heather said...

I love that you do this every month. After reading about AP's tummy troubles and her recent fussiness with naps, I thought back to when ML was her age. We were having similar problems with random bouts of her tummy bothering her, horrible diaper rashes, and not wanting to sleep much period. After I took her to the doctor, we found out that she had severe gastritis caused by reflux. Our ped was able to give us a really good cream for the diaper rash and it cleared up within a couple days. I hope AP's is just an upset tummy, but I wanted to let you know in case she has any more trouble with it.

The Niemeyer Nest said...

AP is the cutest 15 month old that I know!

Miss Southern Prep said...

AP is so adorable! I hope you and your family have a fabulous 4th!

Sarah D. said...

My husband was adamant there wouldn't be any other little ones out there with the name Ann Peyton. I was surprised to come across your blog and read that you too have a daughter named Ann Peyton...love it! Ann Peyton is turning 3 on 7/17. My mother's name was Mary Ann so we took the Ann from her name and my husband came up with Peyton. Your AP is absolutely adorable.