Monday, July 12, 2010

WHAT?!? YOU TOO?

Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: What! You too? I thought I was the only one. -C. S. Lewis
I bet y'all are getting pretty sick of C.S. Lewis, but I saw this on Facebook and I had to share it, because it completely summed up how I felt after reading y'alls sweet comments.

If there is one thing worse than being anxious, it is being lonely and anxious.

I always get really, well, anxious when I write about my anxiety. There is a fear inside me that worries that people will think that I am truly emotionally unwell, or that I am being narcissistic and all Me! Me! Me!, or that I am ungrateful for the things that I have been so generously blessed with. On the other hand, I worry that, like someone in the comments pointed out, people will just dismiss this as me being a "worrier", when for me it is a worry that is incapacitating at times. I have said it before, but it is so true- the most exhausting parent of being a parent, thus far, has been the emotional resources it requires. And the same could be said, really, of a being a wife, a daughter, a teacher, a nurse, or just about anything that is worth doing.

Also, I feel like it is so easy for people to say "well, you know they make pills for that? Your husband is a pharmacist (heard that in more situations than one, ha!). But, the truth is, as another commenter shared, I want so badly for the Lord to have victory in this situation. And by His grace, and with the encouragement of my friends (including you guys!) HE WILL!

10 If one falls down,
his friend can help him up.
But pity the man who falls
and has no one to help him up!

11 Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm.
But how can one keep warm alone?

12 Though one may be overpowered,
two can defend themselves.
A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.

(Ecclesiastes 4:10–12)

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I had to laugh when I saw this post, because, honestly, I posted the quote on Facebook after reading your anxiety post. I'm not going to say that I know exactly what you're going through, because everyone's struggles are different and I don't have a child, but I also struggle with anxiety and panic that can be incapacitating. Your post reminded me that I am not alone in this. Thank you for that. I'm going to be coming to the next C.S. Lewis book club meeting (he's my absolute favorite!) so I hope to see you there. I'll be praying for you as you walk through this. :-)

The Niemeyer Nest said...

I have tons of anxiety too! Not to make light of your situation at all but just so you know you are not the only one. Here are three examples just from today: Carl had Evie out in the ocean and I imagined her floating away. Then, Evie slept so long that I was worried that she was dead. Third, some medicine fell on the floor and I about a nervous breakdown that Evie consumed some even though I know she did not Most of my anxiety revolves around Evie but Carl enters into too. It's scary and sometimes I wonder if I need medicine but deep breathes and lots of chocolate help for the most part. I love C.S. Lewis so keep writing about the books.