Thursday, August 12, 2010

30 Day Blog Journal- Something I'm OCD About



Day 12- Something I'm OCD About

Um, life?

Seriously, though, I really liked that Emily kind of clarified about OCD being a real disease for some people. When I was little I had more true OCD tendencies, like I thought that if I didn't do something (touch something three times, for example) something bad would happen to me or my family. Mostly, now, though the things I call "OCD" are really just weird quirks about me. And there are SO many of them. I decided to limit myself to just a few:

1. My Closet. I have to have an organizational system for everything (I'm working on making my house even more organized gradually), but in the closet it is extreme. I have my dresses/bottoms on one side and tops on the other. On the side with the dresses I have them first sorted by degree of formality (cocktail dresses, church dresses, casual dresses), then by sleeve length (long sleeve, short sleeve, sleeveless) and then by color. The tops and pants have a similar system.

2. Sponges. We have three sponges in the kitchen sink- one for the dishes, one for the counters, and one for the highchair tray. They cannot be used interchangeably. EVER.

3. Checking on a sleeping Annie Baby. The last thing I have to do before I go to sleep is check on Annie, rub her back and stroke her hair, and whisper to her that I love her. I just can't go to sleep without doing it.

4. When I can't figure stuff out. I get SO upset if I think of something I read and can't remember where I read it. Google Reader has been a sanity saver, because if I read it on a blog, I just search in reader. It's a little tougher with books and magazines. Another example is that recently I realized that I don't see all my friends FB statuses when I look at it on our computer at home (I was checking it on Peyton's iPhone). It's a trivial thing, but it bugs me!

Ok, I think that's enough!

5 comments:

Allison said...

You know, I'm the same way with my closet. All my stuff is organized by type (dresses, skirts, tops, pants, jackets), then by color ("rainbow", brown, grey, black), then by sleeve length (spaghetti strap, sleeveless, short sleeve, 3/4 sleeve, long sleeve). Also, "sleeve" is a weird word. Am I spelling it right?

I started doing it this way sometime in high school and I'm not really sure why. But sometimes Danny washes and puts away the clothes, and he hardly ever gets the order right. It drives me insane.

Thanks for the suggestions/support on my living room. And no, I haven't seen your curtains--but now I want to!

nicole@http://theclarks-nicole.blogspot.com/ said...

I did not list my close, but I do the same thing with color and sleeves. love you blog i am a follower now

Carrie said...

You can change the settings on facebook so you will see all of the status updates!

Sarah Denley said...

Allison- you can see the curtains in this post:
http://inthewarmholdofyourlovingmind.blogspot.com/2010/05/just-floored.html

Carrie, do you mean just changing it from "Top News" to "Most Recent"?? I did that. What else??

Amy said...

you are so funny! i am the same way about my closet (and libbi's too!) when jeffrey hangs up clothes he thinks it is *funny* to put something in the wrong place (clothes are color coordinated by season) and it drives me BANANAS! i feel like i can't go to sleep until it is all in order.
and i am crazy about facebook statues, too. i can't seem to figure out how to see everyone's and inevitably i'll log on one time and see an update from hours earlier and think, "how did i miss THAT?!" ;0)