Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Goals List- #1 (read at least five nonfiction books not about parenting)

One of my 101 Goals in 1001 Days was to blog about each goal. I'm over halfway to 1001 days and I've only blogged about five of my goals. So far, I've just done them in random order, but now I decided it would be easier to blog about them in order, regardless of where I am and just kind of give an update. Then at the end, I'll post one big update upon completion.

So, I'm starting with #1 which is
Read at least five nonfiction books that are not about parenting.

Well....so far I've COMPLETED two, started two others, and have a stash of at least ten on my "must read soon" list:
Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis- complete. This was my second time to read the book cover to cover and it's one of my favorites. I wrote about the book here, if you're interested.
I Will Carry You: The Sacred Dance of Grief and Joy by Angie Smith- complete. This book on grief from a Christian perspective was SO powerful; I'll probably include it in an upcoming "review" I plan to do on several books I've read/been reading.
The Weight of Glory by C.S. Lewis- started
Uncovered: Revealing the Secrets of a Sexy Marriage by Susie Davis- started. I'm planning to do a review of it and The Weight of Glory when I finish.

And here is what is next on my "must read soon" list:
Sabbath: Finding Rest, Renewal, and Delight in Our Busy Lives by Wayne Muller (I'm planning on doing the Bloom book club for the first time this month!)

If I had set this goal two or three years ago, I probably would have achieved it within a few months. In fact, I was that super nerd who read her textbooks. Honestly, I read some of my education texts even when it wasn't assigned. I loved reading for all my history classes, too. It was just SO interesting to me. It was a huge blessing to enjoy college and my studies so much and I was really interested in lots of non fiction/informational books at that time.

The truth is, though, I haven't read ANYTHING, fiction or nonfiction, like I did before Ann Peyton was born. I still love reading and I'm working at figuring out a time in my day to spend reading (books, not blogs, ha!).

By the way, I included the clause "not about parenting" because that's mainly were my interest lies these days and I wanted to make sure to branch out and explore other important areas like my faith and our marriage. I'm also thinking I'd like to pick a biography to read soon.

1 comment:

The Niemeyer Nest said...

I loved I will Carry you as well. Can't wait to read Sabbath. Have you read the Laura Bush biography - it's pretty amazing! She is one incredible woman regardless of your political views.