Monday, September 20, 2010

(Wishing for) Fall Happenings

So, it's that time again. There were a lot of things rolling around in my head that didn't make it to my WH post yesterday, so I decided I'd do a quick Fall Happenings post.

- In the past month or so, I have really tried to be more diligent about reading scripture. It has been great for me, but it also shows me how far I am from where I need to be. In college, I used to spend HOURS every day reading the Bible and then I spent at least another hour listening to podcasted sermons or radio shows from pastors/people in ministry that I enjoyed. I really don't know how much of this I did out of obligation and how much I did because I just wanted to grow in my faith, but I do know that it was a priority and a big one. Of course, in my defense, I had a lot more "free time" then and also it was a different sort of free time. Sure, I have lots of time each day, but back then I had lots of time without any distractions. AP is a wonderful distraction, of course, but I have a hard time focusing my mind very hard on much of anything when she is awake! But she does take nice long naps and I'm up way later than her, so there is really no excuse there. I try to justify it by telling myself that I don't read or watch TV as much as I did then, either, but really I know that I should be doing these things more and more.

- Along those lines, I realized recently that it has been way too long since I have truly WORSHIPED. I love the hymns we sing in church and that is totally my style (although I like some contemporary worship music, too), but I've gotten to where I just sing them without even thinking about the words or the meaning. I do that a lot when we say the Lord's Prayer and do the creeds, too. Those things are so meaningful and I don't need to take them for granted! One thing I'm going to try to do is to start waking up earlier on Sunday mornings, so I'm not running around like a crazy person; I think this will put me in a better frame of mind. Another thing I've got to do is to adjust my attitude about the weeks that Peyton can't go to the whole service and we have to take separate cars and he misses Sunday School. I've written about this before, but there are single parents that take their kids to church by themselves EVERY time and I need to be thankful for what I have.

- On a much more shallow note, I think I may have picked out AP's Halloween costume. I think she's going to be a strawberry. I really wish I knew if she were having a brother or a sister because the strawberry I've been eying is pretty girly, but I went with a gender neutral costume last year and I'm not going to box myself in this year!

- Also, I am having MAJOR issues with her wardrobe. She is still sweating bullets in her car seat, so she is still wearing sleeveless (read: really summery) bubbles and the like. She has a ton of cute fall stuff but it's all long sleeve, flannel, corduroy, ect. I don't want to buy her anything because surely (???) it will get cool(ish) in a few more weeks. I think that's kind of wishful thinking, though!

- I'm super excited, but I've also kind of been dreading it, but soon it will be time for the great Fall 2010 closet changeover. I have too many clothes and we don't have very big closets, so my seasonal stuff goes to the attic twice a year. It seems like the changeover always takes me forever (like, weeks) because I procrastinate and don't get it done and I'm guessing it will be the same this time if not worse, since I've been so tired.

- Our church is cooking dinner for the Brandon High School football team on October 1. Our Sunday School class got assigned garlic bread (presumably because it's the easiest thing and we're the youngest adult class and they were being super nice to us). Anyway, it has to all be at the Baptist church (where they eat) at 3:00 that Friday. Most everyone is at work at 3:00 on Friday, so I kinda volunteered to cook garlic bread for 163 people. Our preacher has Fridays off, so he's going to work on it, too, and I'm sure other people will end up being able to help, but um....I'm a little nervous!

I think that's all for now...stay tuned!

4 comments:

Sarah Broadus said...

We are in the same boat with the clothes. all the fall clothes I bought Madyson are 3/4 length-long sleeve, tights, etc. The poor child wore a sleevless dress and (gasp) sandles to church sunday because it is so hot!!! PRAYING for cooler weather so my pumpkin dress doesn't become our christmas wear!

Catherine Sledge said...

I think the strawberry idea is so cute!! She'll make a great strawberry. :) Also--the Grove misses y'all! If you end up making it for any games, you are always welcome at my tent!

Tara G. said...

That is a lot of garlic bread! :)

Emily said...

I am having trouble with Ava's wardrobe too. It is so hard to dress them this time of year! I will be glad when it cools off! :)