Thursday, January 6, 2011

2010: A Meme

I've seen various versions of this on several blogs I read and I decided I wanted to do it. Y'all know I adore a good meme!

1. What did you do in 2010 that you’d never done before?
- Left Annie overnight

- Visited Chicago

- Had a dinner party at our house

2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?

My resolutions were pretty general and not really easy to measure last year, but I'd like to think I did an okay job of making the relationships in my life a priority. I don't think I'll make any new ones, I'm just going to try to do better at keeping those!

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?

Our friends, Patrick and Haley, had their baby around this time last year and my best friend, Carrie had a little boy, too.

4. Did anyone close to you die?

Yes. My grandfather in law, and it really breaks my heart that Annie did not get to know him better.

5. What places did you visit?

Tybee Island, Georgia. Nashville, Tennesse. Chicago, Illinois.

6. What would you like to have in 2011 that you lacked in 2010?

A little boy ;)

7. What dates from 2010 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?

I'm just not a big date person. Maybe June 14- the day Peyton and I both forgot our anniversary. It was only our second, too!

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?

Getting the Christmas cards and letter out before Christmas day?? No, really, I think that the fact that Peyton and I have both adjusted to his new job pretty swimmingly (it's a bit longer hours, especially right now during flu season) is a pretty big achievement.

9. What was your biggest failure?

Getting my priorities wrong. Choosing the computer over Peyton or a TV show over time with the Lord.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?

Just a few sinus infections and some bad headaches.

11. What was the best thing you bought?

A new couch or maybe maternity jeggings (they are the only jeans I have that are SUPER comfortable and look decent).

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?

Probably Peyton's. He works REALLY hard so that we can enjoy the lifestyle we have and he's very understanding about a lot of things. Especially pregnancy hormones.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?

Anyone engaging in a Mommy Wars vendetta.

14. Where did most of your money go?

Family Budget: mortgage, savings

Personal Budget: baby clothes

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?

I really don't know that there was any one big event. Like, I could say one of our trips, but that wouldn't be entirely accurate. I get excited about eating out and Ann Peyton saying new words and doing funny things.

16. What song will always remind you of 2010?

Hmmm, that's tough because seriously almost all my faves are older songs. I'm just not really into current music. But, two songs that I PERSONALLY discovered this year stick out- Swimming Song (which I think I will always associate with AP's first summer to swim in a "big" pool) and this kind of obscure Tom Petty song called King's Highway that Peyton introduced to me shortly before we went to see him live. Crazy thing happened and he ended up playing it at the concert.



17. Compared to this time last year, are you:

a) happier or sadder? About the same.
b) thinner or fatter? Peyton HATES it when I say I'm fat. Pregnanter?
c) richer or poorer? Richer

18. What do you wish you’d done more of?

Spent more time with the Lord and made our marriage more of priority.

19. What do you wish you’d done less of?

Been too critical of people. Worried. Been a nagging wife.

20. How did you spend Christmas?

Surrounded by lots of toddler toys and the people I love most.

21. Did you fall in love in 2010?

I feel in love with writing and with a little girl who is not much of a baby anymore. When we took our trip to Georgia, I fell in love with Peyton all over again.

22. What was your favorite TV program?

The Good Wife

I'll Fly Away

Parenthood

Law and Order: SVU

The View

23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?

I really don't think I "hate" anyone.

24. What was the best book you read?

Sadly (and ridiculously) I haven't finished either yet, but I have loved The Help and Sabbath: Finding Rest, Renewal, and Delight in Our Ordinary Lives, so far. One of my goals this year is to become the reader I once was.

25. What was your greatest musical discovery?

A few Tom Petty songs that had previously gone unheard by me.

26. What did you want and get?

Another babykins ;)

27. What did you want and not get?

More hours. Every day.

28. What was your favorite film of this year?

That's hard. Like one that came out this year? I can't even remember the last movie I saw in a theater!

29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?

Had a sinus infection. Went to lunch with a friend (and our little girls). Ate Red Beans and Rice and cake at my parents' house. [I had to check my Weekly Happening post archives for that.] I was twenty five.

30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?

Not worrying about things that I cannot change/may not ever happen.

31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2010?

Umm....I think I have a unique, but not crazy, slightly retro style?? Except when I'm pregnant. Then I have no style.

32. What kept you sane?

- friends that totally understand what my days are like because they're doing the same thing

- this blog

- AP's two to three hour naps

- my MDO job

- having my family and Peyton's family in town

- good conversations with Peyton about important (and unimportant) things

33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?

Curious George. He buys me a few minutes in the morning when I need him to ;)

34. What political issue stirred you the most?

I think abortion will always be the issue that "stirs" me the most.

35. Who did you miss?

I have a best friend that moved to another state this year (that I'm going to visit in a few weeks!!!), a best friend that is about two hours away again this year, and a best friend that is right here in town, but because of the busyness of life and all that, we don't talk as much as I'd like.

36. Who was the best new person you met?

We have these two friends in our Sunday School class that just recently joined the church. They are both so happy to jump right in and serve and LEAD. Even though they just joined the church and even though they have twin three year olds AND a four year old, they are so happy to do whatever. Them.

37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2010.

It's okay to "let go" of some things.

38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.

People smile and tell me I'm the lucky one, and we've just begun,
Think I'm gonna have a son.
He will be like she and me, as free as a dove, conceived in love,
Sun is gonna shine above....

And in the morning when I rise, you bring a tear of joy to my eyes, And tell me everything is gonna be alright.... [Despite some difficult moments emotionally in the last month or so, there are many times when Annie, Babykins #2 and Peyton do bring a tear of JOY to my eyes.]

Now I see a family where there once was none, now we've just begun,
Yeah, we're gonna fly to the sun....

Love the girl who holds the world in a paper cup, drink it up, Love her and she'll bring you luck....


And that's my final 2010-themed post!

1 comment:

Amy said...

well....maybe i'm just totally pregnant and hormonal (or maybe i'm always this emotional - ha!) but the song lyrics at the end got me. i am a mess right now. :)
i also love that you said you are "pregnanter" this year than last - funny! and the things that you wish you'd done less of....um, that's my list too....exactly. :/ here's to doing better in 2011! :)