Saturday, February 26, 2011

This Week's Lovely Link List

I guess I'm trying to make up for last week. Just kidding, but I did have a TON of links to share!




Rage Against the Minivan: the fly in the eye (how orphan care isn’t sexy)

Posted: 24 Feb 2011 08:07 PM PST

A very inspired post about the reality of life for many children in this world.

Circumcision: A Mom’s Perspective | Strollerderby

Posted: 24 Feb 2011 08:06 PM PST

Okay, I KNOW y'all probably think I'm a TOTAL granola mom these days, but this is something we're trying to really make an educated decision about.

live.laugh.love...and libbi!: my valentine...

Posted: 24 Feb 2011 08:03 PM PST

I thought this was one of Amy's most creative posts and she's had some super creative ones!

The Extraordinary Ordinary: voices

Posted: 24 Feb 2011 08:02 PM PST

This post reminded me of a conversation Peyton and I have had many times- what if Ann Peyton is beautiful? I don't think we're unattractive, but I think we're both pretty ordinary and I think there's a lot less pressure that way, honestly. [Formulating an entire post on this.]

Michelle Obama Proves Being a Fashionable Mom Doesn’t Have to be Expensive… Or Does She? | KidGlue

Posted: 24 Feb 2011 07:41 PM PST

I always find it interesting to analyze different first ladies' fashion. It's an interesting take on Mrs. Obama's attempts at the mixing of affordable and high end items that she is famous for.

second chances | O My Family – This new mom's blog

Posted: 24 Feb 2011 07:39 PM PST

A sweet post about God's grace in giving us second chances.

YouTube Video of the Day: 5-Year-Old Won't Marry Until She Has a Career

Posted: 24 Feb 2011 11:05 AM PST

Guess Peyton's pretty lucky that wasn't my attitude, right? ;)

Enjoying the Small Things: Love Day.

Posted: 23 Feb 2011 12:14 PM PST

I read this reread this post after a friend linked to it and something stuck out to me that didn't the first time. It was the fact that on the night before a date with her husband, Kelle involved her girls in the whole getting ready process.

I would NEVER think to do that! It got me thinking about how Ann Peyton is old enough now to want to be doing what we are doing and when possible, we should let her. My mom was really good about this and I saw that Amy mentioned in a recent post that letting her little girl be involved in what she's doing rather than trying to distract her works really well.

I feel like a moron for not realizing this and causing myself hours of stress trying to distract someone who would much rather be participating in what I'm doing. This week I've started making an effort- letting her play with a clean makeup brush or clear lipgloss with the top on while I'd "fixing my face" or letting her hand me things out of the dishwasher (that aren't sharp/breakable).

TheFoodRoots.com: What is a good baby?

Posted: 22 Feb 2011 08:48 PM PST

I really liked this post by my sister in law. It's funny because I think we parent differently naturally, but we also have children with very different personalities. I don't naturally fall into the "attachment parenting" group, but that's partly because it wasn't really what Annie needed. It seems like this is the easiest time in Simeon's life so far and, to be frank, the hardest in Ann Peyton's. The neat thing, though, is that we both have a lot of respect for one another and they way we are raising our children and I think we both appreciate the feedback we are able to share.

Our Happily Ever Afters: Cinderella

Posted: 22 Feb 2011 06:20 PM PST

Second post in a week from Ash that has me in a puddle and this time it was the ugly cry. I know it's hormones (partly) but I just cried and cried. Evy's six weeks older than Ann Peyton and they will be going to prom and having rings slipped on their fingers in the blink of an eye.

A Total Frat Move from Minnesota | 349472

Posted: 22 Feb 2011 11:09 AM PST

Another funny from TFM.

motherhood invades all (even my phone) | O My Family – This new mom's blog

Posted: 21 Feb 2011 09:42 PM PST

This was just a funny, creative post I liked this week.

A Total Frat Move from Texas | 347765

Posted: 21 Feb 2011 07:02 PM PST

I wish there was a way I could share only *parts* of this post. Some of it is really in bad taste, but it was hilarious. Just be warned.

The Shirt Skirt | Sew Like My Mom

Posted: 21 Feb 2011 10:44 AM PST

I "sew" want to make one (or a few) of these!

Ann Voskamp: How To Find The Holy Grail of Joy

Posted: 19 Feb 2011 12:43 PM PST

I can't wait to start 1000 Gifts. Gotta finish some others, first though!

Institute on Religion & Democracy (IRD) - Evangelism Professor Likens United Methodists to Non-Reproductive Mules

Posted: 19 Feb 2011 12:25 PM PST

This is why Peyton and I are participating in our church's GROW team (an outreach program to visitors). It's sad so many Methodists and other mainline denominations don't see it this way.

Our Happily Ever Afters: February Loves: Friends For LIFE

Posted: 18 Feb 2011 10:28 PM PST

Well, I link to this post with tears in my eyes. I really can't even start to put into words how much these girls (and their children) mean to me. So blessed.

Hope you found something you liked! Let me know if there's anything great I missed this week!

2 comments:

Amy said...

thanks for the linky love - i feel so special!:)
one of my favorite things about your linky lists is the wide variety of topics - i love how you find posts on everything under the sun. :) this particular set made me laugh, cry, and take away some things to think about.... great list!

Kristal said...

Great list!! How do you find so many great things??

Just briefly on the topic of circumcision: Isaac is circumcised but we've decided we won't circumcise any future boys. I don't necessarily regret the decision to circumcise Isaac - we made the best decision we could based on the info we had at the time - but as I've learned more about it, I've decideded it was not the most informed choice by any means. When Isaac was having latch issues at first, I found out that circumcision can adversely affect breastfeeding because of the pain. I was so upset that no one (no nurse, LC, doctor, etc) had told me that and I'm very convinced that bf'ing was difficult for us at first in large part due to the circ. But the biggest tipping point for me was when isaac's crib was recalled. We had a drop side crib and after the recall, I scrambled to fix it. Shortly after, I found out that 32 babies had died in drop side cribs in the past 10 years. Assuming half were boys, less than 2 boys per year had died. Yet, circumcisions result in more than 200 deaths per year for little boys. So here I was scrambling to fix something that was an extremely minimal risk and yet I'd CHOSEN a procedure for Isaac that was more than 100x more likely to kill him. :( That sealed the decision - no more circs for us!